Unusual Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Bigfoot!, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bigfoot!

Bigfoot! New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went fishing on the Ohio River this past week and this guy I didn't know was telling me about some strange bait he'd used to catch catfish. He suggested a hard, dry sponge soaked in maple syrup. He also said Ivory soap on a treble hook cut into balls.
    I decided to check online for more suggestions that were out of the ordinary. I came across a website for unusual bait that suggested dough balls made of old cheese,flour and catfish innards.
    Does anyone have any odd or unusual bait they might use for catfish bait?

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Chicken guts. Use to be a popular bait. I haven't seen anyone useing them in many many years. Channel Cats lovbe them

3. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    one time i was at cabelas in wheeleing and this old hilljack told me he used deer meat for catfish he said they love it... sounds like too much work to shoot a deer to use for bait lol

4. cat'n around

cat'n around Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i took some shrimp one time, put it in a zip lock bag with cheese and garlic. put it outside in the sun for 2 days. if you could get by the smeel it worked. i had to wear rubber gloves so it wouldnt get in my skin. i tried it one time. caught one fish with it but it wont a cat, it was a bowfin. after gagging so much i thought id better throw it away, never tried it again. :smile2:

5. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A guy was telling me that where he use to live, they would put a whole cornish hen on a hook and catch huge shovelheads.

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I read an article posted on here a few weeks ago about three guys who caught some real big blues on pickles. I tried it but didn't have any bites...but then again, I didn't have any bites on other baits either.

7. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i know of a guy that uses baby ducks and guinea pigs live. and i know people who have used chicks,mice,baby rabbits and caught monsters i just cant do it myself.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John bait receipts is always a great read. When you get time check out the BOC Members Library for lots of bait receipts.

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey big foot how ya been ?

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Most certainly are some very strange baits that people use.