Unusual bait

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by guscipi, Oct 25, 2009.

1. guscipi

guscipi New Member

State:
    va
    Just wondering if anyone here had ever caught menhaden or mullet in their cast net before. Went out DB yesturday and caught six 5-7 inch menhaden and a few mullet in the cast net. I've caught mullet in the river before but never menhaden, thought they were only salt water fish.

2. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish:big_smile:

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    welcome to the BOC gus.i've never caught either but i have a friend that says he catches mullet in a cast net.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    never caught Menhaden but I buy them frozen and cut them up, caught a 27lBer 2 weeks ago on some and a few eaters, my friend caught a 46LBer on some last weekend

5. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    I caught some mullet last year in Dec. back in the warm water. I don't think we fished them so I don't know how good of bait it could be.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gus Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

7. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I would see the menhaden come up river before the mullet. Mullet have trouble handling low salenity levels. But i'm sure they can do what they want if they put there mind to it. I wouldnt knock either one for bait for Cats. both are very oily fish, and the Menhaden i would belive would work just as equal as shad...

Go the other way back down stream, over the years i've netted several Gizzard shad in saltwater at Oregon Inlet and Pamilco Sound, while netting Mullet and/or Menhaden. Usually just one or two at a time now and again, but i dont know why they go into the saltwater or how they can handle it. But you do have to put salt into your bait tank to keep them alive.

This stuff is about confusing.....

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    never evens een one

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Gus welcome to the BOC. Nice catch in the net

10. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I used to catch mullet all the time in my cast net up above Dutch Gap. I've never caught menhaden but have gotten a few skipjack herring my gill net.
    I've used the mullet for bait a few times but never caught anything on them. My opinion is if you catch the mullet just throw them back in the water.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the hood Gus.

12. BROWNING7MMMAG

BROWNING7MMMAG New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    Caught a couple mullet a couple weeks ago and didn't catch anything with them

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I tried Mullet in the James once and Appomattox twice and never even got a nibble. Im sure the crabs will eat them though lol

14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Never heard of either one but I use bluefish and the channel cats tear it up I bought a red snapper at 1/2 price was gonna try some of that cut up also bought trout from the store 1/2 price same thing channels demolished it:wink:

15. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

Are you sure the "menhaden" your catching aren't this years hickory shad frey?

16. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

Keep throwing them mullet back, more for me!!

17. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    I have used mullet down at santee cooper and it worked great. I've never tryed it up here but have always wanted to.

18. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey Russell:
    When are you going back to the James. Mike told me you work all the time and don't have much time for fishin.....

Jerry