Unusual afternoon of fishing (not a fish story)

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Pipe Rat, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man was it a weird day today. I decided to get out of the house this afternoon and try a little bank fishing. I walked up the levy above Winfield dam and fished the first point on the end of the revetment. There is a big cutout there and another point where the revetment starts again about 200 yds away. It was uneventful for about two hours. Then along comes a big barge getting ready to approach the lock, well he ends up getting the stern fouled up inside the other point. He ran aground:eek:oooh: He spent about 1/2 hour trying to get off. There were 3 young men fishing the other point and I'm not kidding he was splashing so much water onto that point they had to vacate. That quiet cutout became quite rough. Man he was stirring it up. He finally ended up running the bow aground beside me and got the stern away from the bank finally and backed her off. Thats when the water really churned up, those two huge diesel in reverse pushing into that cutout really got her rippin' I bet the water raised a foot where I was at. See the short video clip of the action at the end (until I had to shut it off to save my poles) and yes it got even more wicked after the tape stopped. Then I call it a day and head back to the parking lot. I put my gear away and got situated in my truck and all of a sudden here comes a fire truck, he pulls into the parking lot and tells me and a few others to move just out of the lot. OK. Then here comes 3 County cars into the parking lot. Whats going on there is no one over there. Then the fire marshall. They get geared up and out comes a fire extinguisher and two cans of orange spray paint??????? They start painting lines on the lot.:smile2: I am thinking what is this an exercise or what. Then they put out these flashing strobes in a circle. Aha helicopter landing pad. Here comes the amblance and shortly after Arch helicopter lands right there in front of me and picks up from the ambulance. Sorry so long winded. Video below. (hint nothing to watch after helicopter lands) Unusual day for sure.

http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/ww60/thepiperat/Day at the dam/

2. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    thanks for the videos.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I''ve rode with some pilots that fit this description to a tee. I always enjoyed the guys that cut the bouys, corp set em there for a reason.:wink:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Me thinks that there pilot might think about a different career. :wink:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Kind of hard to tell from the video, but ya sure he didnt put those barges up in the shallows on purpose? Alot of times, in heavy current, or heavy wind, the Tug Captains will ground the front barges in the shallows to hold it steady to wait on the lock, and/or wait on a slot at a bend etc. Was just a thought. Course, its possible he just dorked it up :smile2:

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    That was a very good clear video, thanks for sharing.

7. Pipe Rat

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz I could hear him on the speaker talking to the crew. He eventually called them back and said something about a cable "we'll try to get it off that way". Before I turned the camera on the stern was well inside the point. That and the props hit something hard at one point.:eek:oooh:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like good ol fashioned, "he dorked it up" :smile2: Thanks for the story and video.

A couple of years ago I was fishing with Harold Dodd on one of the more nasty bends of the Mississippi River when a tug took it too wide and forced us into the rocks to escape being crushed. I'm sure Ol Harold took note of the name of the boat. Harold noticed he entered the bend a little to wide, and when I saw him put the boat in gear without worrying with rods and anchor rope, I knew the guy was in trouble. We put his new Lund in the rocksm, and the barges missed us by 20 feet going downstream wayyyyy to fast. Harold did say the guy made a nice maneuver to get it all back under control though, never mind we bout got squashed :smile2:

9. Pipe Rat

State:
    Missouri
    That explains why Harold sold his boat and just sits in the driveway now reminiscing about fishing.:smile2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Did he sell his Lund? I havnt heard that one. I'll have to give him a shout.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wrong Harold PipeRat.

12. Pipe Rat

State:
    Missouri
    Oooops! Sorry

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ah, lol :smile2:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    But I am quite sure HarryOld would be honored to be compared to THE ONE AND ONLY Harold Dodd!!!!!:wink:

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yes I would.. And if some of these people on craigslist would ever return a call or email I would have another boat.. It really sucks when I'm ready to buy and nobody wants to sell.. hehehe

16. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Well I Finally went and did it--
    Stoped by Dunns Sporting goods and pryed $12.00 out of my wallet and baught a fishing License. Now I thought I'd do like Harry-Old and ask for donations for some fishing gear.I have 1 pole but thats pretty much it.Got nuthing but desire!!!
    So watch out horse whisperer I'm gunning for you in the U.F.C.

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Why do you need another boat, thought you had one already?????? Something not working out? Did the HULL fall apart in the storm the other day??????

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Miracles never cease.......two miracles in one fell swoop.

1. Ole Jer buying a FISHING LICENSE
    2. Ole Jer PRYING $12.00 out of his wallet (how many moths came flying out when you finally got it wrenched open?):smile2:

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO. Yeah, I could smell the mold from his wallet here in New York :smile2:

I'm surprised he knew where to go to even buy one :smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    I was sure you two would be a LITTLE more supportive maybe its the X-tra competion your getting--HUMMMM
    anyway--got any used hooks for me (you guys only use um 1 time and throw them away dont you?)