Unsolicited Advice for the Young Adults

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Apr 24, 2007.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    With summer coming there are graduations, weddings and spring break all will require decisions to be made so take the advice of an older man who has made some choices that still haunt him and some that were right. What ever you decide to do make sure you will still feel that way when your kids or grandkids make the choices in life. If this sounds dumb or you think I don't know what i am talking about just give it some thought

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    More unsolicited advice:

Know who you are, and be proud of it. Don't be a flippin' sheep, be whoever you are, and be the best "You" that you can be. I don't care who the best athlete in your school is, who drives the nicest car, or whatever.... you can be a good leader & positive role-model no matter what your circumstances are. Be the best You, and be proud of it.

Understand the consequences of your decisions BEFORE you make them. Sometimes thte consequences are worth it, sometimes they are not. Ex: if a bully is jacking with you at school and you punch him in the mouth. He'll probably leave you alone afterwards, so the consequences (suspension, ISS, whatever) may well be worth it. Bad example: getting drunk and driving. You may definitely not like the consequences of that such as, having a wreck and possibly killing someone, then spending time in prison, as well as having someone's blood on your hands.

Listen to your parents and your "elders". They've been there, and probably tried whatever you're thinking of. The world's greatest treasure is our older folks, so be smart enough to tap their resources of knowledge. You can't buy wisdom, but if they offer it to you.... take it!!! If they tell you not to do something, run away from it. An older gentleman in my dad's Sunday school class helped me through the worst time in my life, and if I hadn't been paying attention, I would've completely missed his guidance.

Work hard. Take advantage of the opportunity of education that your school provides. Bust your hump to make the best grades possible, and if at all possible go to college.

While at college or school or wherever, LEARN TO THINK FOR YOURSELF!!! Don't just accept what others try to spoon-feed you. Think for yourself, analyze all information that you hear & see on television. Form your own opinions about things. Your teachers will occasionally try to press their own ideals on you, in school and in college. Form your own opinions & don't be a sheep. I had a psychology professor in college who tried to force-feed us some homosexual bunk..... and ended up saying that if we didn't accept homosexuality as a lifestyle, then we were homophobes. Bullbutter. When I spoke out in class one day and gave the class a piece of my mind, you could hear a collective "sigh" from the rest of the room. They wanted someone to say it, because they were all thinking it.

God gave you a mind, use it.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Thanks guys for your posts. Its good to hear some older folks giving positive advice to the younger generation. I can remember when I was a kid i used to hunt and fish with my Dad and my uncles and they were old timey as it gets. They taught me to respect animals and other people and take only what you need. I can remember getting my a$$ chewed by my uncle for driving his boat to fast while another old man was anchored along the bank and i almost knocked him out of it, keep in mind I was only 7, but i can remember that as if it were yesterday. I've come to appreciate things like that. Now, when I go out on the river you see people, particulary younger people, showing total disrespect toward everyone else. I miss going out and seeing most of those old timers out on the river since most of them are gone or unable to fish anymore. How times change. All I can do now is pass that knowledge down to my kids and hope they do the same for theirs. So all of you youger guys and gals out there pay attention to what your parents and elders have to say. they know what they are talking about. I was young and dumb once too, and thought I knew everything. Now that I am older, I realize that I didn't have a clue.

Sorry, I kind of got carried away, this thread stirred up some memories.

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    No need to say your sorry say what is on your mind that may be why this was put on my mind to say

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys.

jlingle, that is great advice, I completely agree with you about being yourself and not a 'sheep'. I've made the mistake before when I was younger back in middle school, but grew out of it pretty fast and basically just act myself and don't give a flying rip whether people like it or not. As far as drugs and stuff like that go, one good thing I guess you could say of having a Mother that is a terrible drug addict is it definitely helped me stay clear of it. And believe me there's a lot of peer pressure at my school. I've never touched a drug, alchohol, ciggarrettes, or anything like that....have no reason to, I'm happy right now, and the only "high" I need to get is from a big Blue pulling on the end of my line, or playing drums with my band in front of a good crowd.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Zakk I met you at the National all i can say is keep your head on straight and your eyes on the Lord

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Zakk, if it hadn't been for fishing, I would've got into a lot more trouble in school. I still got into my fair share, but it's kinda hard to get into trouble with the dummies in town when you're alone on a riverbank like I was. I preferred catfishing to partying most of the time, if I could've said all the time then I'd have been a much better kid in high school.

Keep your head on straight, and stay on the water. Fishing will keep you out of a lot of trouble in your younger years.:cool2:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is refreshing to see you elderly kids giving the young ones such words of encouragement and support. I think, generally, kids today are much different than they were when I was growing up. Went to HS is a small city. Carried either a .22 or a .12 gauge to school with me every day. Kept it in my wall locker. The principal and superintendent of schools would each chase my down the hallways yelling at me to take my hat off, but not one word about the guns. Think I'd be in jail by today's standards. I couldn't get a date for the junior or the senior prom, but I could hit a squerrill in the head with the .22, and was famous for the 5 plus pound bass I could catch... All told, wish I had a date. sigh.....

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, fishing and playing music keeps me out of trouble. My favorite thing to do is fish, followed closely by playing drums and going to concerts. I have gotten into some small trouble before in School, but it was always silly stuff, being goofy, that was back in like 9th grade. But, I've never been in a fight, or skipped class, or anything like that.

In my opinion I think a lot of todays trouble with most teenagers is the music most of them are listening to. Which is Rap, it's almost all about very negative things, and encourages bad behavior in my opinion. The few other kids I know that listen to like Rock and stuff seem to act a lot better.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Life may be short but wrong decisions last a lifetime ,dont follow the croud ,just cause they do it . If you care to do anything do it because you want to not cause everyone else does . and THINK before you do .lots of quick decisions have long lasting recurrences dont be a dumb @$$

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Zakk may I say after reading your post over the years I have been here you are wise beyond your years keep it up

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Partying has never been my thing. People just get totally ate up when they have a few drinks. I would hate to know how much money my friends piss away on smokes and booze every weekend. Personally, I'd rather waste my money on hunting and fishing related items.

I drive all over the place hunting and fishing by myself anymore. My best hunting/fishing buddy right now is my girlfriend. She would rather go hunting or fishing with me than go out to a party with all of her friends. I thank the lord for finding a girl like her. :big_smile:

I used to be a "sheep" when I was in middle school and a freshmen in high school, but that all changed pretty fast. Most of what people do nowadays is ate up and pointless to me. All anybody does is get stoned and drunk all the time it seems.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA

Man, I wish you guys were around 10 years ago and told me the same. The best I can do now is tell other youngsters that bad decisions do last a lifetime. I did some very stupid stuff as a teenager, and it has closed alot of doors for me in life. Decisions have consequences, believe it. And right or wrong, you're still often judged by those decisions you made a decade or more ago.