Unmanned fishing noodles spread across the lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jpw, Jul 29, 2009.

1. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok I have not spoke on the Noodle fishing (jugs, trotlines, etc.) subject, but now I have something to say. I was on Badin this past weekend and I saw several using noodles. What are the regulations for this? Why do I always see many without anyone nearby? Or totally across the channel or blocking access points like around the train trestle?? Or wrapped around docks or on the banks in trees, laydowns etc. with dead cats or sometimes cats that have been hooked for long periods of time. As you can tell from the point of where they are hooked and how stressed they are. It is obvious they are not monitored like they should be. This is a common scenario on Badin. I even had a run in on Lake Norman about a month ago with Gatorade jugs floating down near the I 40 Bridge that blocked the whole river. A while back I even found a trotline tied to the train trestle on Badin and it was barely visible until you were right upon it. Luckily, I think someone attached a old noodle to it after the fact so it would be seen. I spoke with some of the NCWRC guys that day doing shocking surveys up river and they showed concern of how some of these fishermen were using the noodles or trotlines. When will some type of restrictions be instated to protect the great fisheries we have on our local waters? I know, I know we all deserve the right to fish in whatever manner it is legal. I know most that fish in our area will agree. There has been a decline in larger cats and even the numbers of previous years. There should be some limits on what can be kept, whether it is rod and reel fishermen or noodles, trotlines, etc. I guess the only way to get changes made is to make it known to the NCWRC. I hope anyone that is concerned will write to them and let's make some changes.
    To end this on a funny note..I saw a bass boat this past weekend with 2 motors..lol He was about a hundred yards from Old Whitney when I first saw it. I didn't get a good look but it looked like he had at least 2-125's or maybe more. Thats a new one for me..lol

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know some people who set out jugs and come back a few hours later. Sometime when i set out jugs I will set some in a part of the river cruise upstream and set some more to cover more ground. You don't have to (by law be within a certain distance to your jugs and in TN you can have 50 each. I personally don't put that many in and i wont leave them for extended periods. And I will stay on the river until I find all my jugs. I haven't lots one yet. I did loose one for almost 12 hours one time. Gave up hope and but spotted it on the way home. good thread. I have seen many jugs floating and stuck on shore while fishing. Most with no names on them which is the law. Good luck

3. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I jug Badin on once in a while and I know what you are talking about. We use to have mark jugs with your info but that was done away with a few years back. I think it should be reinstated. I place out around 20 jugs and I recover 20 jugs. They are marked with reflective tape and you can really see them.But unfortuneately not all juggers do this. I have had to clean up many a mess on that lake left by others:angry:. Come to think of it I haven't jugged at all this year:confused2:. Oh well. And BTW I release most of the ones I catch it is mostly fun for me:smile2:

John

4. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I live on badin and jug badin lake with my dad about 2 or 3 times a week. we started seeing that some f**k wipe likes to put out a shit load of red noodles with no name or address on them all in the way trying to get up the damn. We will spend the night on the lake on and wake up to find unmaned,no named jugs floting around. we pick them up and keep em if thay dont have names! and i lost count on how many jugs i find with cats on them that look like thay are on for days. it pisses us of big time. If see who is doing this its going to be a bad f**king day for them. ARE LAKE LOOKS LIKE SHIT WITH ALL THE cheep ass plastic bottles on the bank and floating in coves.AND the fishing line all over the damn place. sorry for venting on here but this is a topic that needs to be addresed.me and my family will tern a day on the boat's into a big clan up,walking the bank with trash bags picking up plastic and fishing line. You will know my jugs if you see them thay are 50 14" yellow noodels with 1/2 pvc in the center with a T on the end are namn, addres phone#s with BIG white reflective tap.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    the law was beefed up last year. it went from unlimited jugs to no more than 75 and must be marked. no live bait.0ne Blue over 36" per person per day can be kept No restictions on where or when you can put them. pretty wide open seems to me. I agree there should be limits but someone will probably post on this thread shortly defending this type of fishing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. Topper

Topper New Member

State:
    NC
    NC gamelaw says you gotta be "in attendance". I put out a dozen jugs where I can see them and I watch 'em till I take 'em up. I release the biggies and keep a few eaters. I jug maybe 6 times a year and if anyone can find fault with that I say you're no more right than the british flyfishers who say only fish "caught upstream on a dry fly" are good trout.
    Commercial and greedy fishermen are the prob, boys. And litterers,.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here in KY it is 50 per boat . If you don't watch them some will watch them for you so.... I don't leave mine un attended and turn em loose over 10lbs. Sorry some slobs just aren't considerate to others . No sense in trashing a fishing hole I guess that is called littering and to waste fish is wrong .

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The only way to sole this problem is by collecting data for the state. If Iam on the lake and see unattended, abondoned jugs or fish on jugs with no one around, I keep a data log at the house. As in the numbers of jugs and the numbers of jugs with fish on them. Alot of us have been complaining over the years and we got something done last year on it. Hopfully we can put more pressure on the state to change the number of jugs or outlaw them period. If all of us keep some data, then we have ammution when we go to the state wildlife meetings.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What have you accomplished? 75 jugs? sounds like they just made a joke of your effort.... they're (NC biologists) desperate to take-out the Cat population... watch using live bait, might get a precious game fish. Good luck NC,,,, gonna let them do ya that way- you all won't be cat fishin' much longer. If your waiting for alternative fisherman to be respectful.... the words "repect" and "altenative fishing" together are oxymoron-it ain't gonna happen anymore than your state will change its mind about eradicating catfish.
    Alternative fisherman are just puppet suckers to the cause.

10. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Same problem in ga I went back to the old lake where my dad use to take me fishing and you could not go into the creek for the 80 something jugs blocking the entrance thats crazy I got nothing againts jugs trotlines etc but thats just to much DNR man where are you when we need you most?????:crazy:

11. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc

I have to flat out disagree with you on this one. :angry: I have jug fished and ran trot lines for years. And I ALWAYS tend my lines and jugs and follow the law. As far as respect and being a puppet it seams to me if someone doesn't share your view then they don't get your respect. Oh and just so you know 90% of the cats I catch on these lines ARE released. I may keep a few eaters and if I am planning on a fish fry for the guys that work for me I will keep a few more. I have a fishing permit and as long as I am within the boundry of the law then its my personal preference as to what I do.

John

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    This subject seems to keep comung up and it is obvious we all differ in our opinions on jugging and alternate fishing methods. I have and will continue to jug fish as long as it is legal where I fish. I only keep fish between 2 and 10 lbs. everything else goes back. I always stay with my jugs and take them up when I leave. Having said that I can understand the anger from some of you guys where there is evidence of jug fisherman catching large fish and selling them to the paylakes. I have not seen any of this here, but we do not have any pay lakes around that I am aware of. No matter the method of fishing there are going to be some with utter disregard for the law or the future fo the sport we love. I hate thet you think I should be lumped in with the culprits of the a**holes abusing the fisheries in your area. I have learned some valuable tips from all of you and hope to continue to do so. I joined this site because of my love of catfishing in all of it's forms. I do not participate in all of them but I do support them as long as they are legal and not abused.

13. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    im a rod and reel fisherman, but i dont have anything against anyone jugg fishin as long as they are in the boundaries of the law, ive never used a jug although i have drank afew:eek:oooh:

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad you do it with respect and within the laws and selective harvest .I am glad there are some out there like myself .

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If I find them improperly marked, or they are not being fished withing the required time, I throw them in the trash at the boat ramp. If you are missing some you can probably find them there. :big_smile:

Unattended free floating non-fished and improperly marked jugs are nothing more than liter, clutter, and a safety hazard for boaters and skiers.

:wink:

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That's why I stay with mine . None of mine endd up with someone else unless there are 2 guys and I am by myself and they choose to run them for me and threaten bodily harm which has happened . I had no cell service or back-up in the boat . If you leave your jugs here that's just what can happen and best if you got a buddy fishing too .All juggers and trotline guys should clean up there mess and practice selective harvest just my opinion .

17. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats what im saying...every time i go out with my family(3 or 4 times a week) we bring back dozzens of unmarked jugs to the boat ramp trash! i love to find new unmarked noodels allong the bank:wink: (less i have to buy)

18. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    Down here at lake Hickory it comes in spells,back in May we found a lot of small drink bottles ,around the end of summer it will happen again,the ones I see more of are small drink bottles with line wrapped arond it with a hook,it is used as a reel,when done it is thrown down in lake or on bank.:angry:

19. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    It only says daily. the rules are very lax...

Using Trotlines, Set-hooks and Jug-hooks

Trotlines, set-hooks and jug-hooks may be fished under any
    license that authorizes basic fishing privileges.

It is unlawful to use live bait with trotlines, set-hooks or jug-hooks.

Trotlines (a line with multiple hooks) must be set parallel to the
    nearest shore in all public waters, where their use is authorized.

Each trotline, set-hook and jug-hook shall have attached the
    name and address of the user legibly inscribed.

Each trotline shall be conspicuously marked at each end, and
    each set-hook shall be conspicuously marked at one end with
    a prominent flag or floating object.
     Metal cans and glass containers cannot be used as markers.
    The number of jug-hooks thatmay be fished is limited to 70 per boat.

Trotlines, throwlines, set-hooks and jug-hooks must be fished
    daily, and all fish must be removed daily.

Untended trotlines, set-hooks and jug-hooks, as evidenced by
    the absence of bait, may be removed from the water by wildlife
    enforcement officers.
    and further down.....
     ​
    In Lake Norman and Badin Lake the daily creel limit for blue

catfish greater than 32 inches in length is one

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  20. erikp0412

erikp0412 New Member

State:
    nc
    me and my buddy just started setting jugs on bladin but only while we are catfishing with our rods somewhere else on the lake we make sure we pick all of our jugs up before we leave. We only have about 15 jugs we set them out and they are orange noodles with name and phone # on them we normally set them up by the damn. We was there this past week and there was some up that way that had no info on them if you cant fish by the law then don't fish! ps if anyone could help me we would love to hook into some big cats with our rods like 25lbs or bigger if anyone could help us and puts us in the right direction it would be nice, we don't keep anything over 15lbs to help keep the lake strong with big cats it's all for fun not to make a living