Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Unleashing the bear hounds

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  hct236 
#1 ·
Went with my nephew and his friend to run their bear hounds in WV...pretty good time!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a good time. Ive never seen bear hounds run. No one near me has any that I'm aware of. A lot of people run deer with dogs here and occasionally tree a bear by mistake. I went to college near the va/wv line and knew some guys that die hard bear hunters. They could care less about a deer. Its a steady rise in the bear population here. I put most of my effort into deer but I hope to stick one this year. I got a couple pics of some a few weeks ago. I'm sure its two different bears.

#4 ·
Hope you get to stick one! I won't say we have an abundance of bear here, but do have a healthy population. I see at least one every trip deer hunting over a 3 day trip...But that might be because I hang up cotton balls with a 50/50 mix of anise oil and persimmon oil as a curiosity scent for deer .Don't know for sure if it makes an effective scent, but If there is a bear within a mile, they will come in when they smell anise! and deer (does) have walked up and sniffed the cotton balls and go on about their business.

#7 ·
Hows that bear for eatin? Ive asked about everyone Ive met who bear hunts and have gotten bad to mediocre. I know alot depends on their diet i.e. a bear thats been eating dead fish and carrion will taste alot worse than one thats been gorging on berries.
They opened up a season a few years back where I hunt in WV but I believe its later in the season and theres not much browse left to eat. Imagine those bears would be cleaning up alot of gut piles thru the deer season.....

#10 ·
Someone gave me some bear to try a few years back, We fried it up and I have to say it was pretty good. We just cut it up in strips, added season salt, garlic powder and salt/pepper to flower and coated it. Guess it all depends on the person eating it since I know a lot of folks that swear deer meat tastes like liver and they won't touch it. Heck, I like liver and deer but they taste completely different to me.

#11 ·
When it comes to bear, I've ate it twice in my life. The first time, I didn't care for it all..The second time it was really good! Slow cooked into a stew. The lady that fixed it said its very important to remove as much of the fat as you can, that's where the bad taste comes from. I have no idea about the proper way to prepare it or the recipe, but done correctly it is a palatable meat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.