uni-knot for your leaders

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by TITANSFAN2104, Jun 29, 2009.

1. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    does anyone use a double uniknot when attaching your leader?? if so how does it hold up compared to your line ?? for example does your line or knot break first??

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use the double uni for my line to line connections.If I,m using #80 braid and a #60 mono leader it will break at the leader and not the knot.That,s good enough for me!:wink:

3. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    so you dont use a barrel swivel?? i just thought most people used swivels for their leader to main line connection! but if this knot is strong enough i might use it a little more!!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I do use a swivel.I,m talking about 20 or 30 ft up the line.I replace the last 5 ft of my braid fairly often,so I usually have the double uni holding the new and new sections of my braid in use.I keep wacking off the last 5 ft until I get to about 20 ft or so,then the fresh braid is double uni-knotted on.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    when i used to use the uni knot alot it would break at the knot eventually due to it tighting down on its self, left a litle curl on the end when it broke, doubling it made it stronger but not as good as a palomer. this is with mono. the double uni is plenty strong with braid and i still use it when gonnecting my braid main line to the swivel. if i cant tye a palomer its usually a uni double uni knot although ive been trying the improved cinch lately.

6. MSRiverdog

MSRiverdog New Member

State:
    Minnesota, USA
    Double Uni has saved me a fortune in braid, easily has tripled my line life, Spiderwire Ultracast to Trilene XT. I'm trying Firewire Braid on a couple rods right now to, get's an A+.

7. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I always use a double uni to connect braided line and leader. It always breaks on the leader side of the knot. This knot is great!!!

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    this is what i was wondering!! just wondering if he acual leader would beereak or the knot!! thanks

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've been usin a uni knot ever since i started usin a leader, my 40# big cat mono breaks before my 80# power pro. that uni knot works great:wink:

10. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
  11. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I use uni to uni on leaders for shark fishing and salt water fishing and when splicing lines

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  12. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Okay i'm confused... since you guys are using double uni knots to attach your main line to your mono leader where does the barrell swivel come into play? Are you attaching the two ends of the swivel w/ mono on each side? If not i'm lost.....:confused2: