Unhooking a Big Cat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tntitans21399, Sep 15, 2009.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know their might be numerous questions like this, but also their is a chance of a new method. When I bass fish I catch and release and now that I'm getting into catfish, I might keep some every now and then, but mainly catch and release. I might never catch a big cat, still going to try, but say I do. Are they usually hooked in the lip where it is easy to unhook them? If it is deeper, how do you unhook the bigger cats that you can't pick up with one hand? I have a net for the bigger cats, but as I read in a book you don't want to put your fingers in a big cats mouth because they can clamp down enough to smash your fingers.

So what is the best ways you have unhooked a big cat?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well if your using circle hook it should be hooked right in the corner of the mouth..There usually pretty easy to unhook..Keep him on the deck and use the fins to get a good grip and hold them down..He'll have those fins locked in place as a defensive reaction so they should make a decent handle..Needle nose pliers or heavy duty hemostats work good if your having trouble with sticking your hands in there mouth..

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hemostats for hook removal?! man i would have never thought of that!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris if a cat is hooked deep and bleeding leave the hook in place, and cut your line. The hook will rust away. As far as hands in the mouth of a cat. There is nothing wrong with a few battle scars for the sport.:wink:

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    just step on its head and yank on the line. Just kidding. but the hemos work great. And I got some hook getter outers that work pretty well too.

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    hook getter outers! now that's a name that explains the product precisely! More companies should think this way.:smile2:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The problem is not even as much getting crushed as getting crushed while those little razor sharp teeth tear the crap out of your hands ... then they like to spin while biting. Gloves and good pliers are your friend, that or just look like an idiot at work the next day like I do.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use a set of long nosed needle nose pliers. Just twist the circle hooks and they usually just pop right out. And no, I don't stick my hands in a big blue's mouth, nor channel, and even a bullhead can clamp down HARD. Flatties on the other hand, I have no fear to grab by the mouth.

Bill in SC

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    If the hook is deep I just clip it off. I always carry a pair of cotton gloves that fit either hand. I find these protect you from the teeth.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use a long needle nose pliers. I have some light hemostat for other fish. A hook getter outer would be nice sometimes

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use Team Catfish fish grippers and a pair of pliers. I have never had a big cat (over 20 pounds) that was deep hooked. Maybe it is just luck, I deep hook smaller ones every now and then, but never a big one.

12. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I like to pin the fish down and get my hands on him. Sliding my hand up under those locked fins. I have 2 pairs of needle nose pliers on my boat. One in the front and one in the back. IF I can twist the hook out I do but if it is down its gullet I just nip it off and leave it be. I even carry several pair of those rubber coated gloves on my boat to wear. I have been scratched by those slimy fins and dang that sure hurts for a while till it wears off.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    false! it may not feel good but its not that bad, like a gentle hammer tap, not a full swing. the clamp and twist is worse cause it will remove some skin. the fin stabs are worse.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I mainly fish flats,they got big mouths.I just reach my hand in and pull the hooks out,they aint gonna hurt you.It,s only like sandpaper actually.We aint dealing with sharks here!:crazy:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009