Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was riding my mountain bike through Greenbrier State Park in Maryland. For anyone unfamiliar, this is about 1,400 acres of woods with a bunch of trails surrounding a 42 acre man-made lake. It is on the eastern edge of the Appalachians and the Appalachian Traill passes through a corner of the park. I was on trails deep in the woods when suddenly my nose fills with a smell I didn't recognize. The closest description I could come up with is wet dog but it was slightly different. As quick as it hit me it was gone. I assumed I was downwind of where some deer were bedding and went on with my ride. A couple miles later it hit me again. This time I stopped and looked around but saw nothing. I spend a lot of time outdoors and in the woods but not normally in this area. I have never smelled that in the woods before. Without a doubt it was an animal smell.
What kind of critter was it? Deer? Black Bear? Coyote?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys crack me up. This is Maryland so probably not remote enough for a Samsquanch but I like your thinking. I was assuming coyotes because while MD DNR says we have them in every Maryland county I have only seen a few in the more suburban area where I live and was thinking maybe there are more in this area.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,378 Posts
There's a shrub in my yard that has leaves that smell like a wet dog/something decomposing when the leaves turn in the fall. I'll try to find the name and picture.
I thought for sure that some animal got hit by a car and was dead in the shrub. Looked all over. Then realized it was the leaves, so strange.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You guys crack me up. This is Maryland so probably not remote enough for a Samsquanch but I like your thinking. I was assuming coyotes because while MD DNR says we have them in every Maryland county I have only seen a few in the more suburban area where I live and was thinking maybe there are more in this area.
X2
Many times while raccoon hunting I have encountered the same smell and it was coyotes following the hunting party at a distance.

·
Registered
Aaron from Indiana
390 Posts
There's a shrub in my yard that has leaves that smell like a wet dog/something decomposing when the leaves turn in the fall. I'll try to find the name and picture.
I thought for sure that some animal got hit by a car and was dead in the shrub. Looked all over. Then realized it was the leaves, so strange.
I've never came across a shrub like that, but back in the day there was a Gingko tree outside of the Forestry Bldg at Purdue that bore fruit that looked like persimmons. When it dropped in the fall and the fruit would become overripe, I swear it smelled exactly like dog crap. Getting it on your shoes made for a long embarrassing day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts