Unfamiliar Lake

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CraigO, Oct 15, 2008.

1. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    Going out on a Lake this weekend that I do not know. What do yall do to find cats on unfamiliar water? Just looking for a few keepers for a small fish fry and camp out. Will be in a boat. Is there another thread somewhere that might help with this? Here in TX it is early fall and I know there are plenty of cats in this lake. Someone please give some advice

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Craig I recently fished an unfamiliar lake here in Missouri. What I did is I bought a topography map for the lake. This way you can see the old river channels or sudden depth changes. The thing that we should of done is talk to the locals. That's prob the best way. Good luck.

4. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
  5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    try posting it in texas catting some one might have fished there if not try driffting the whole lake for a while

6. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    this question really was more of a general one than a specific one. If you're going to ANY new lake/reservoir to fish for the first time, where do you start?

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    mostly ill drift for awhile

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Welcome aboard :0a25:

I'll usually start with a topo too. I use google's sat images to see the birds eye view if it's available also. When first on the water I hit the spots Ive picked out from these two sources but don't keep those eyes closed on the way to the spots... there will likely be other things to catch your eye that you couldn't see from the maps or satellite images.

I've looked at proctor a time or two on the map and from the shore but haven't fished it. I'd be interested in hearing a report when you go.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can't beat a good topographical map to start planning a trip to a new lake.

Also don't limit yourself to one bait. Use several different baits to find out what the fish prefer in flavors or scents in that lake.

Drift fishing would be good but if I got time and am only targeting small eaters I will put out some short trotlines to help as locators.

Another thing I sometimes do in a new lake is after making a plan from the topo map I sink a burlap sack of soured corn in the area I have chosen to bring them in to a close area and fish over it.

As you see there are many approaches that you can do it just depends on what you prefer and how you think you would like to fish it and explore it.

10. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    OK... had a fair outing on Sat. to the new lake. Caught 7 keepers, all 2-4 lb channels (2 on a little 8 hook trotline, 4 on jugs, 1 on rod and reel). Where in the world do yall find topo maps for a lake? I can find all sorts of topo maps, but the ones I find dont have anything about the actual lake itself.

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Sounds like a fun trip :big_smile:

I've found them at Bass Pro Shops, Academy, and sometimes at little bait stores near the lake you're going to fish. I used to skimp on maps, but anymore I opt for the waterproof ones with all kinds of markings all over them. Maybe one day Santa will bring me one of those GPS gadgets with all the topo you could want on it! Now that would be handy for a new lake :wink:

How's the timber in that lake Craig? Lots of it standing?