Unexpectedly,,,My First Grandchild

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wabash River Bear, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I normaly dont get too personal on here, but I feel like sharing a bit today. It has been a really stressful weekend for my wife and myself, and maybe this is my way of venting or lettin the worry out. First let me give you a little background on this particular story. About a year ago my then 16 yr. old daughter got an Ecoli infection while swimming at a public pool. She ended up a pretty sick girl, high fevers that wouldnt break, severe dehydration, vomiting profusely, ect. The Ecoli infection attacked her kidneys pretty badly, weakening the left one in particular. It took 8 days in the hospital with I.V. antibiotics to get her through it. The doctors told us that after the infection her left kidney would always be weak, and she would be prone to kidney infections and to take precautions. We do, very little pop, lots of water, juice, and fruits. All had been good for about a year.

About 3 weeks ago, my wife (after much deliberation, prayer, and worrying about what I would do) tells me my now 17 yr. old daughter is 9 weeks pregnant. What do you say to that? Send it back? Whats done is done. Its been tuff gettin used to the idea and tuff on my daughter realizing that all her decisions are not just about her anymore. We adapted, but it still didnt seem real to me,,,,yet.

Wednesday she started coming down with kidney infection syptoms. We imediately got her on oral antibiotics. It didnt seem to be helping, high fevers & vomiting, we've been there before. Its time to get serious, espesially being pregnant. Friday evening it was time to make a trip to the hospital. They admitted her as expected, same treatment as before, but with a little extra caution. They did a sonogram of her kidneys, bladder, and of the baby, making sure all is safe. We dont know the results of any tests yet, but her fever has resided to a much more managable level. Hopefully, maybe, if she dont spike a fever tonight, she may get to come home tomarrow. She does seem to be responding better to the treatment than last year with the Ecoli. This pregnancy is going to be hard on her already compromised kidneys.

Ok, here is where the realism sets in. I relieved my wife at the hospital this morning so she could go home and clean up. While she is gone is when they decided to do the sonograms, so I had to go with her because she is a minor. Thats when I saw "it",,, the baby,,, my baby's baby,,, my grandchild!!! It lives, breaths, moves, and has a heartbeat! Its real! Its that moment, when reality sets in, that makes everything else seem small. A week ago I was still in aw of how irresponsible I thought she and her boyfriend had been, today I nearly cried as I saw the life they had unexpectedly created. So,,,Brothers and Sisters of the BOC, allow me to introduce you to my (what the sonogram tech thought, but yet to be proven) grandson. 12 weeks 3 days old. Aint that somethin!

Attached Files:

2. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Amazing how our attitudes change after we see them aint it?

I never got excited till I saw the first sonograms. But even that is pale in comparison to how being a grandparent is AFTER that child is born.

Hope everything else goes OK. Keep us posted on her (and the baby's) progress.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    WOW, Barry, that's some big news.
    Firstly, fingers crossed for your daughter's health and that of her baby. Secondly, congratulations on your granddadship. Daughter's life is about to change beyond all recognition. Hoping all goes well...W

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    At least you will have some to take fishing!

Congrats Gramps!

5. Alex J

Alex J Guest

Yep, most of us have heard that sonogram heartbeat on the TV or something, but when you're sitting there, hearing it in person, it changes everything. Congrats and best wishes for all.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Congrats Barry, wishing best daughter, you and wife. My #2 arrived at 12:08 am today, ain't nothing like being grandpa.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats, and very good pic. there.. thats always neat to see them early pic.s and start guessing...rollo

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Barry, hope and pray the girl and the baby are aight. If they are, everything else will fall in place in due time. I hope the boy grows up just to be a fraction of the man that i feel you are.Life gives ya lemons, smile and make lemonaid.:wink:

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I'm at home tonight with the animals. The wife said her fever hasnt gone above 100 tonight and she hasnt felt nausiated. It all depends on the fever the rest of the night and what the test results show in the morning. Friday her white blood cell count was 21,000 normal is 12,000. Hopefully that will be down along with the fever and they will cut her loose tomarrow.
    Thank ya'all for lettin me unload a bit, I feel a lil better sharing my worry and excitement. And thanks for the kind words. WRB

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats Barry, these are some strenuous times I'm sure... but in a few years you'll wonder what you ever worried about I bet!!!:wink:

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have been in your shoes with the surprise pregnentcy but believe me after he or she is born you will not know how you got along without your grandchild as for the sonogram ours was supposed to be a "granddaughter "but this two year old is all boy and either way it would not have mattered

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I shed some tears reading your story.
    God Bless and watch over your daughter and grandchild.
    Thanks for sharing.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    all I have to say is Congrats grampa!! :smile2:

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Barry - Best wishes to your daughter and the baby! Hope everything works out. I have 4 daughters so I may find myself in your shoes oneday!

15. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Good news, the white blood cell count is down and no fever. We have her back home now, she got out at noon today. They suspect that there may be some kind of blockage in her bad kidney, could be scar tissue from the Ecoli infection last year. They are going to wait until after the baby is born to work it out, possibly put a stint in her kidney. Until then she's on a antibiotic and vitamin regamin, and has to watch her diet. We'll keep a close eye on her. The baby seems to have endured the weekend and as far as they can tell is doing fine. Thank God.

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Glad to hear she is feeling better. Congrats on being a grandpa!!

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrat there papa hope all goes well

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Barry,even tho it isn't what you were hoping for under the circunstances. There ain't nuthin like them grandbaby's. We got both our's yesterday for a few hrs while momma was workin,[My son had tickets for a truck an tractor pull] so it was great that she brought the girls over.I'll keep you and your's in prayer.

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I've just recently went thru that myself...well sort of, my stepson who has been w/me for the last 8 years decided to tell my wife's friend, who told us, that were pregnant(16 yrs old)now they are seeing just how much they don't get to do anymore, everytime we do something it takes an hour to get all the baby stuff ready & loaded lol!!! but she's growing like a weed now & they are watching her till she gets bigger & starts walking & talking then maybe I'll step in some lol!!!!!

20. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    This is my daughter Paige. She wanted to say hi to ya'all, and to thank you for your concern.

Attached Files: