Unexpected guest to my fish fry.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jsthumb, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    So I am on vacation in Charleston and decided this morning (after finding out that it was supposed to rain after lunch and then be cloudy for the rest of the afternoon) that I would go and try my luck at some catfishing. Once it started raining I headed for a local lake (that I grew up fishing on) because I know there are lots of eating sized cats in this lake. Well it rained extemely hard for about 30 minutes and then tapered off into a drizzle. I get setup and catch 9 or 10 bluegills (in about 10-15 minutes) for cut bait and rig up the catfish poles. Well with in 5 minutes of casting out the cut bait I caught my first cat about 3lbs no sooner than I get him on a stringer then my other pole takes off another cat about 2lbs. The catfish were on a feeding frenzy as I ended up catching about a dozen (in the 2-4 lbs range), all in about 45 minutes.

I figured I had enough catfish for a nice fish fry for the family and the bass are hitting top water every where so I figured I would try some lures and see if I could get a bass or two just for the heck of it. I walk down the bank a little ways and throw out a chatter bait a few times and get a couple of hard hits and finally hook one. Well I get it to shore and into the net it was a 3 lb largemouth. I am working on getting the hook out when I hear all hell break loose back behind me. I turn around and a DARN Gator was eating my stringer full of cats. Talk about crashing the party.

So much for the fish fry we ended up going to Red Lobster instead, what a bummer. Even though the gator ate my dinner I still had a great time fishing because the fishing and catching was excellent.

2. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Man - a great day of fishing! Sucks ol' toothy mouthed gator had to come and ruin the fish fry. You should have did some Steve Irwin on that gator and fought for those cats LOL!

3. catfish_express

catfish_express New Member

State:
    south carolina
    was bream fishin in jeffries creek had about 5 bream on a stringer laid them down to make a cast while walkin and walked about 15 feet from them and a very large owl came down grabbed the whole stringer of fish in his claws and off thew went through the air and were gone. and beins he took the stringer to the day was then catch and release. true story

4. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i always lose mine to turtles. so i learned to bring two or three stringers since i've had more then one bite in half. plus i learned if you can get hold of the turtle that they taste good to.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Glad to hear you had a nice day fishing Jason, but I have to agree "GIVE THE FISH TO THE GATOR" you can always catch more.
    When I first moved to Florida my first trip caught a nice 5lb bass and droped him over the side on a stringer like always done not 10 min later heard stringer pop as gator liked him more than me learned real quick to carry cooler for fish.

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Wow that sounds like quite a trip. We don't get em' around here, how are gators to eat?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I hear gator tail tastes really great. Let's see now....Jaws! Attach a 5 gallon plastic gas can to the fish with a big (snagging size) treble hook. Now that sounds like jugfishing! :wink:

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    :eek:oooh:What no pictures:smile2:

Bet ya was doin too much dancin and cussin to even think of taking pics :smile2:

9. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    LOL. I sure aint wrestling no gator for a few cats. If he wants them then I'm sure not going to stop him (better the cats than me I guess). Sad part is I do carry a cooler with me also to put the fish in but I sure wasnt thinking of any gators sneaking up like that. As far as pics go, the camera was in the truck and the gator was between me and it.

I just hope the game warden dont come after me for feeding the gators...lol

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Wow what a fishing trip! how big would ya say the gator was? Has anybody ever been killed by a gator at that lake?

Jaime

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'd rather feed the gator my fish than have it try to eat me. It would suck to lose the fish though.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    instead of turduck you can have catorfish.