Unexpected Catch!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Aug 26, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just wanted to hear stories about when you went fishing and caught something completely different than the fish species you were trying to catch. I have a few but the two I remember are catching a Stingray with a 7 foot wingspan and one time when I was a kid of about 8 years old, catching a giant Eel (It was hugh) when I was fishing for carp.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i cant say i have cought anything out of the ordinary or unexpected

YET!!

lol

i guess i just dont have enough years under my belt

Jeff

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    mine would be that i was fishing for bluegills and caught a 15lb soft shell turtle.:eek:oooh:

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I was fly fishing for bream with a poper and caught a cotton mouth he rolled all in my line bad news:big_smile:

5. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    Went Surf Fishing when i lived in Florida and i caught my Wife:cool2:

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    OH MY

what a dangerous creature

lmao

7. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    She's been fighting ever since:big_smile:

8. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got a flounder last year shad fishing.

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I was fishing for red snapper, off of a pier in San Juan, Puetro Rico, ( mispelled) When i was in the Navy, and caught a small shark.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

catfishing caught a bowfin, bass, gar, turtle and a goat head

surf fishing for spot and croaker caught a shark, skate (fish not roller), crabs, multiple half fishes thanks to sharks, tire, about 50 foot of rope and a bikini top but never found the girl( I figured she would have been easy to spot, lmao)

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Caught a lamprey in my cast net once. And caught a channel in a lake that had never been stocked withem.Had been fishin the lake steady for about 8 years and the fish was 7 pounds or better he had some wear on him but was overall healthy

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    my son caught a mussel last month , it actually clamped down on his hook !!
    and he has caught a rock a bit smaller than a baseball , and a pepsi can
    the weirdest thing hes pulled in though was a ladies shoe:crazy: .

13. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Does an old tire count? lmao yes I had a good time trying to get that one in,but I got it .

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you probly should have thrown her back i hear these type fish suck the life outa most strong fisherman lol

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    At a local lake called Walnut Creek, a buddy at work insisted that people were catching blues with cheesy hotdogs. I was skeptical at first, but I like to try new things. So I picked up my dad and off we went to the grocery store to get "bait". When I told him what we were going to be using, he had that look in his eyes, you know that look only a father can give his son just before the son does something really stupid? (Yes, I know that look all too well)

Anyway, we get to the lake, and we get our bait in and I can just feel in his eyes in the back of my head. Just before it got dark, it began to lightly sprinkle on us. We were watching ducks out in the lake, when he noticed that one of my rods was bent over pretty hard. I jumped up and started to reel in, since the fish had already set the hook for me.

I was so surprised when I got this fish on land. Then, about 15 minutes later I caught another one! And then the rain began to pound us. So, we packed up and headed for the car. Once we were headed down the road, my dad told me he was proud that I tried something new, and that maybe there was hope to teach an old dog new tricks. I felt very humbled by the whole experience.

16. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    surf fishing for spot and croaker caught a shark, skate (fish not roller), crabs, multiple half fishes thanks to sharks, tire, about 50 foot of rope and a bikini top but never found the girl( I figured she would have been easy to spot, lmao)...uhh dunno but i dont think its very pleasantly to catch those things lol....

Weirdest thing i have caught fish wise, was a sauger/saugeye.. while catfishing. i was reeling in my night crawler and BAM about a 3lber outta the big O.

17. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
  18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I once hooked into a huge sea lion when I was catching baracuda off Point Loma in California. It just kept peeling line off my reel until my buddy cut it for me. The sea lion surfaced approx 50 yards from the boat and finished the baracuda then took off.

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmm.....I thought this thread was to discuss catching a different species. I suppose Larry's wife does count in that case :lol:! Don't think I've ever caught a different species, all the living things I've brought out of the water have been fish of some sort. While crappie fishing, I caught my two best channel cats. The weirdest things I've ever caught were an old boot (yes this really happens, and not just in cartoons :big_smile:) and a vinyl coated lawn chair.

20. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i cought a bass the other day does that count?