Unemployment looming

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Don Wessling, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    My 82 year old boss is finally give up and closing the doors to his boat business after 43 years. Never did find a buyer, so I don't know what he will do with all the parts, shop tools, equipment, etc. I am factory certified Mercury Outboard and Mercruiser, so I presume I'll find somethig this spring. Hope I don't have to drive long distance every day for a job.

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ya got a good shot

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don you worked for a great dealership. I hate to here of the closing. Wishing you luck on finding another dealer. Charlie will be missed.

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    You could open your own shop. I put a seal kit in the lower unit on a johnson motor for a friend of mine. He told everybody that i work on boats. Man i had a differnt boat in my yard all summer long. People told me that the marinas charge to much that they would rather bring them to me. I would charge them 20.00 an hour and most of them would give me a tip. Its worth a try!!!!

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

No kidding, the marinas or dealers in Ohio rape you on labor costs. I mean I know a man has to make a living but I wonder how much the mechanic actually sees out of these hikes. They wanted like 250 bucks or more to do install a new water pump impeller. Its like a 15-20 minute job if things go correctly. Its a cheap part too. I would rather pay someone I know that is mechanically capable and has done it before a pretty decent sum just to not have to pay those guys who make a ton off of people already.

Anyway, to the original poster, sorry to hear of the closing and hope you find a good job, you certainly sound like you are well qualified. If you could get the capital or have the shop to do it, perhaps self employment would be a good option if there is a high demand for maintenance on boats in your area. I wish you the best of luck.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good luck finding a job. Around here anyone that can work on boat motors and does don't get a day off unless they take it.

7. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah I would say you will be able to stay busy. I don't know where you are from but the Marina on Lake Springfield has been looking for a good mechanic for a while. Dont know if the position has been filled but you could always check.

8. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i hope the best for ya buddy,we know your motor smart so i dont see why you couldnt get something going pretty quick,good luck on whatever decision you make tell nancy and dogs i said hi.

9. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I can see it now. Wesslings Guide Service where catching catfish from the luxurious confines of a fully equipped pontoon boat is any catfisherman's dream.:wink: Sorry to hear of the misfortune.:sad2: Hopefully, it turns into a blessing for you and Nancy. Good Luck

10. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Thanks for the encourament. I can work from home since I've had an ATV repair business going for 25 years. Just need a bigger shop I can get a couple boats in at a time. Charlie layed me off yesterday but he will be there at least through spring trying to get rid of everything. He has about 25 boats in winter storage and 5 consignment boats for sale. He has been in business for 43 years one of the top selling boat dealers in the nation, (over 500 boats a year) so he has a lot of stuff to get rid of. He has a lot of parts for older mercurys and omc on the shelf, parts motors, special tools, manuals, shop equipment, Anyone need anything just call him, 618-242-2600. Lakeside Boat and Motors Mt. Vernon, IL.