undewater cameras

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by drpepper, May 30, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What about those things..... anybody have much experience with 'em?

My dad bought one about a year or so ago and never even took it outta the box yet.
    -It's one of those hundred dollar (or so) ones.

Could I take this thing to the river and see flatheads under logs- or blues in lakes-stuff like that?

I know that's suppose to be the idea but how well does it work I'm wondering?

I almost know it'll do ok in a clear poolwater-clear lake but how about the average rivers and lakes' not-so clear waters?

2. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have had mine for years now.I guess it's ok but it's not what i thought it would be. I to thought i would be able to see giant catfish underwater structure , adventures were just waiting to be explored. In very clear lakes or rivers you will see fish but it's not a wide area so you won't see schools. I have the infrared unit for seeing in total darkness but again you just see such a small area that it sucked in my opinion. Again i have had my for a number of years so your unit could be much better. I bought all the goodies like trolling fins , sunscreen , extra battery even the telescoping pole. I would say it cost me around 300.00 for all this stuff. Take it out it's still cool enough to have fun with. A decent fish finder will do so much more once you learn to use it.:0a26:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, exactly as I was thinkin' prolly gotta hit a fish in the head with it to see? not like the underwater scene's on animal planet huh? I'll take it with me just to check it out at least once.... got to!

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    My wife got me an underwater camera for fathers day and I have only had it ot twice but we a ball with it. Trolled around for a while just looking at the bottom and structure. Got a pretty good idea what's down there now. Then we anchored down and I set the camera about a foot off the bottom and were watching the bream swimming around it. I then threw in some range cubes and watched them go by the camera. Started fishing and was watching the screen when it was blotted out completely. We kept watching and never saw one that big again but did see several nice cats swim by. All in all I think I am going to like this thing.
    We were fishing in the Big Cypress river and the average depth the camera was in was 5-6' And the river is pretty clear right now.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I tried it... the water I was in was my pond which has VERY clear water.... I don't know about other, more expensive one's... but the 100 dollar one I have aint worth a diddly poop... biggest waste of a hundred buck I've EVER made.