Underwater Video

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't know if anyone remembers or seen the under water video last year of all the flatheads piled up together in the winter. Here is a video from this year. Pretty dang cool. Check out all the different kinds of fish before he gets to the flatheads at end.

[youtubevid]9208sBC6Bk4&feature[/youtubevid]

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, I remember the old one. Pretty cool.:cool2:
    Definately shows how vulnerable they are to snagging in the colder months.:sad2:
    Did you see that stump at about 3:30 into the video?
    It looked COVERED in line and lures.:crazy:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
  4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats cool alright must be winter, somewhere, thanks for the thread it gives me a real good feeling , Im ready to go fishing:smile2:

5. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    shows how much i know, i had no idea that cats stacked up like that in the winter

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks Jay, man, that was really something, those Cats were just piled one on top of the other. :eek:oooh: :smile2:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
  8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Its crazy that they are all 20 lbs or better.
    Where do all the little ones go?:smile2:
    Thats a whole lot of fish. Once the water warms they will spread out and provide recreation for countless anglers over countless miles of water.
    I hope they are breakin up as I type this.:smile2:

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've never seen this before,does this mean theres piles of flatheads like that in other rivers and lakes?

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yeah, I would say so. Most waters that get pretty cold, probably 50 and under, will have flatheads stacked up real thick like that. Especially in the coldest months.
    Around here, most of the flatheads will go back to which ever lake is downstream.
    Then once the water warms and the rivers rise they high tale it out of there and migrate it up into the rivers.
    Lots of miles can be covered by some fish.

11. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    damn, i might have to scuba dive around here sometime. probably couldn't see much at the bottom of the kansas river but maybe at some of the lakes around here. i'll have to talk to the kdwp about regulations and permission. I used to scuba dive in small spring fed lakes in florida and see all kind of stuff like gar, huge bream, channels, bass and crappie. might do it a few times at the lake of the ozarks as well.

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I have a friend that scuba dives and spear fishes for flatheads, but thats in arkansas and they have a season. I think it starts in sept.

13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for posting those videos. I've never seen those before. You hear about flatheads stacking up in winter but to exactly see them is breathtaking. :eek:oooh:

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ive never seen anything like that, pretty cool

15. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd guess that diving most of the water around here would be pretty low viz, but I think there is some diving areas on Wilson lake. I dove cold water on Lake Murray in Oklahoma quite a few times and have seen some flatheads, but never anything like that. That would be pretty wild.