Underwater lights to attract bait

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Deltalover, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I noticed that there are a few companies that sell underwater lights that attract baitfish. I even read about a few homemade ones made from 12 volt car light! Green seems to be the color of choice! I read a few testamoinal's from fisherman that used them and they sounded pretty good! You do have to use them at night or in low light, about 10 feet down, but not only do these attract baitfish, they also attract large predators (cat fish) chasing the bait! I guess the green light doesnt freak them out! I know around docks the lights out of the water, but pointing to the water, will attract bait fish anyway. Has anyone used one of these or have tips on making them? I know from doing a search, you can buy them from 25 bucks to 60 or so, most work off of 12 volts.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Phillip I bought mine at walley world at christmas when they put items on sale.
    Mine are green and got a 12 ft cord on them. I drop one over each side and tie it off at about 10 to 12 ft. I also tie some light weight line over the side and put a gob of worms on it to attract the bait fish to go into a feeding frenzy. This sound resonates thru the water to attract the big ole cats.
    I have caught many one like this.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Harbor Freighthas a 20 watt submersible spolight with 4 colored lenses and it is 12 volt with 120 volt househild adapter for $9.99 You can pm me for the link

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Deltalover

Its hearsay but fer what it is worth here it is. Two different people from different States told me and swear that attaching the real small glow sticks next to your bait attacts Flatheads & ups the bite/fish percentages. I have yet to try it though but will.

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I have been doing some research on this subject and this is what I have come up with. The incandescent lights draw a LOT more power. Some of them have green lenses. Green light does travel better in water but the lens on the incadescent ones cuts down the cp so it may be an even trade. The "Cadillac" of the flourescent lights is the Hydro glow 4 footer. This retails about $200. I am taking a wild guess but this may be what is advertised as the "evening secret fishing" item. As for myself I believe I will go with the more economical flourescent light by Optronics. The model is the NightBlaster Magnum UW-300G Submersible Green Fish-N-Light. A google search has shown it to be around $25 + SH. Hope this helps ya some. After I get mine and try it this summer maybe I can write a review.

:0a26:

6. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Ulizth,I personally would like to hear your review.200 to 25 bucks is a big difference!Been thinkin about these things but I'm not quite sold yet.Thanks:cool:

7. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I doubt that I will get the $200 one to review because I do not believe that it could be THAT much better than the $25 one, but who knows maybe I will be stupid enough to try it after the fish start jumping in the boat from the less expensive one. :0a23:

8. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    Daystarchis

I think I will check out my local Harbor Freight and give this a try...thanks for the info

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

I tried this methoid last summer and it does work.
    I was catching and my wife wasn't and she wants to know why. I showed her and she attached some right above the hook and it did work.
    I only use the green glow never tried any other color

10. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Bubbacat.. What size sticks and were you fishing with and was it live or another type of bait?

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Tym2fish It was the little short green ones from wally world and we were useing livers.
    I do think I will try some with those big creek minnows though.

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Bubba, another question. How did you attach the glow sticks?
    Thanks, Will

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

I used some real small o-rings I had in my tackle box for some reason. I can't remember why they were in there but they were bought to use to band some calves I had.
    How they wound up in my box is beyond me.:)

I am gonna use some small rubber bands this year.

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I bought the $200 green light and it works better than the smaller ones, mine is a 3 ft green light and came with a carrying case, it very nice. Once you put it in the water, it starts working fast. I have caught several very nice cats and I also catch Crappies while I'm catfishing. The smaller lights work but don't seem to reach out to the bait fish that are further out. If you know how to use your fishfinder properly, you can find the good spots to use the light. I live in the Fort Worth area and have been on most of the lakes with this light and it seems to work on every lake I've been on.

15. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Lawnman,

I am still thinking of the less expensive. Do you really believe you get "more bang `light` for the buck" with the $200 one? Also do you keep it at the surface or drop it down into the water deeper?

16. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Years ago I got the bug to catch crappie at night and bought a light that you put down in the water. Well it works as advertised,soon after you get it in the water a ball of shad wil circle the boat and then the crappie will move in and ya can load the boat with them,more than once have had a short crappie that was hooked deep floundering on top get out of the arc of the light get smashed by something and have always said if I do the night thing again I would take a big pole along and hook a short fish freelining and see whats hittng on top out beyond the arc of the light. When it is quiet and your half asleep a big splash shore will get the blood flowing on those types of trips.If I remember right the name of the one I had was a Night Blaster and it really worked for crappies using minners under a slip cork.

17. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    ive got friends who used to fish crappie at night quite a bit and they would just use an old car head light. they would just run enough wire to get it down where they wanted it. i never did it but from what they have told me it worked great.

18. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ye i bought one o those $10 cheapies encased in styrofoam that flots on top o the water. it does bring in the bait, but im a bank fisher and dont have access to electricity so i tried using one o those deer feeder batteries to run the light with. battery usually lasts only bout an hour or hour n a half. the light supposedly only uses 4 amps per hour, but evidently i need something that will only draw 1 amp per hour. i dont wanna have ta lug a 60 lb. deep cycle battery with me to be able to fish all night. so, all those lights yall mentioned, whats the amp draw per hour on em?

19. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I have personally tried the submerged light and this is what I have experienced. A true green flourescent tube works best, not one with a green filter. But that being said, a plain ol car headlight is effective too. Just not as much. It is all in how much you are willing to spend. It seems also, depending on water clarity, that the light being submerged about 2 feet works better where I fish. I bought mine at Bass Pro Shops years ago, it is a green flourescent fixture that is waterproof and runs off of a 6 volt battery, the big ones with the little springs on top.

I haven't tried the lightstick by the bait thing yet, but after reading about it over this winter I am anxious to get out on the water and try it.

FYI, I have used the light from the bank as well, with similar results.

20. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I picked up the optronics 18" magnum at Cabelas for $26.99. I'll pass on how well it works after summer fishing starts.