Underwater cameras?...Anyone try them?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by olefin, Aug 23, 2005.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have the Aqua-Vu SC-100. Only had it a few days. Before I had the Aqua-Vu DT, that's the one that shows depth and camera direction. I tried two of them from Cabela's, both had problems maintaining the correct dept reading... after using for a few minutes they would add 46 feet to the depth reading. I gave up and decided I didn't need one with depth so I returned them and ordered the SC-100.

The underwater camera is pretty neat, lets you know what's really down there. It showed me that Fish Symbols on my sonar are a joke. Some places the sonar showed fish.. there were none.. other places it showed no fish and there was fish on the camera. I had the other two cameras back when it was cooler, at brush piles and my dock I was seeing a lot of fish... tried the other day and hardly any fish.

The SC-100 works in sunlight without having to use a sun shield. The monitor uses an LCD and not a CRT. Also the reel is pretty neat for storing the cable. The monitor is a lot more compact than than the DT... both uses the same camera. BTW fish are not afraid of the camera for it looks like a fish.

The first time I charged the battery it swelled up like it was going to burst.. called Aqua-Vu.. they are sending me a new battery

If your buying, I would recommend to buy where you can return if you don't like it.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sorry,haven't used one but would love to have one(hint,hint,BOC giveaway :) )
    My local lake is pretty stained except for winter,but there are lots of other places to try it out.On T.V. they use it a lot for ice fishing.

I think I would spend more time watching it than fishing,I bet what you really see vs. what you think is down there would blow your mind!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have an aqua-view, but haven't used it much. Water clarity hasn't been that great. I did use it a little recently in fairly clear water, and it worked pretty well for viewing the bottom, but the only fish I saw was my bait. It's a toy for me, I guess, but I think this winter when fishing bait schools in the deeper water, it may be helpful. I wouldn't buy one planning to watch the fish bite my bait, but it is a fun thing.

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i had intended to buy one for emory river but my son has one he uses in cherokee lake. he brought it down and you cant see a thing past 6 feet deep in watts bar. the water is to dingy.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Naturally, the clearer the water the further you can see... you will be able to see as far as the human eye can see in water. And you only see what is in front of the camera.
    Right, they are just another "toy" but I like toys. :D

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Here is a funny anecdote about cams from michigan DNR idiot reports:

[1-25-04]

COs Cherie Beckhorn, Chris Holmes, Dan Bigger, and Sgt. Sherry Chandler participated in an ORV group patrol on lakes in the Waterloo Recreation Area. During the patrol, COs Holmes and Bigger discovered two out-of-season bass when an angler was showing CO Holmes his new underwater video camera. The subject's fishing buddy was disposing of the bass down the hole at the same time. The action was very clear on the camera. COs Holmes and Bigger watched the dead bass slowly drift to the bottom of the lake.

I wish I was there to see that one. LOL....

Enjoy the cams guys... its too pricy a toy for me but I see the value in a good toy.

Sal

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've often wondered if that would be a good rental at a bait shop.Say,25$ a day.Would do they cost?500$ or so?
    I think I would rent one once,just to see whats down there.
    How about Y'all,and how much would you pay?

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Ok i want to start this one back in circulation just to see if there are any new opinions... i am thinking of getting one after getting no bites during the April 1st tournament where all 3 boats marked tons of fish in 60 ft of water yet none of us could buy a bite to save our lives... If that ever happens again i want to be able to say yes we got skunked by a school of cats or no we didn't cause the fish were just shad (american and hickory) and not wasted 80% of the time fishing to the fish that wouldn't have bitten our baits anyway...

Anyone have one that they can recommend? I like the Aqua-Vu's but they are a bit pricey for me, is it worth the money or would i be just as good with a cheaper model like the ones Harbor Frieght has?

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Visibility in the waters you fish is going to be a huge factor. Although Olefin and I are both in central Arkansas, he is located on a deep, clear, mountain lake; I am located on the Arkansas River. Unlike Lake Ouachita, visibility in the Arkansas River generally ranges from 6" to 2'. I will admit that I have seen as much as 3' of visibility on a very few occasions. You just can't see much underwater in those conditions, whether you are skin diving or lowering a camera.

Olefin, how much cable do you have on that thing? Back in the mid 80s I was on Ouachita and my paper graph marked some very big fish just above the dam. That's pretty deep water, though.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jerry,

Mine has 75' of cable. Have to use the light when deep, shows a lot of bubbles that's not visible with light off. I've never seen any fish deep but I haven't used it deep but once. I'm usually around 20' or less.

11. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Bought one of those $99.00 Harbor Freight cameras back in the winter. Will work if the water is clear. Dingy no go !!!!! Also with the sun shade on is very hard to manage . Works good in an aquarium !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I had bought another 7000 Ambassadur with my money !

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Fishing Fred- I was actually looking at that one but didn't know quality etc... Good to know that its not worth its share in anything but clear water...