Underwater Camera

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Dsage, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ok I was in Lawrence today so I tossed the underwater camera in the car to test out at the spillway at Clinton. Man was it cool, there were tons of cats schooled up also ran into one big flathead just tucked in next to the wall. I think that I'm going to have fun with the camera in the spring. Kinda opens your eyes to a new view on how fish act.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Dang it! Ya can't teese us like that unless you share pics!!!:wink::smile2:

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I tried to get some but holding the cord on the camera and then the monitor I did not have a free hand to use the digital camera. I was telling a buddy about it and he wants to go out with me and check it out. I will get pics then.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You might enjoy it while it lasts. Id imagine that in the spring the water will be too muddy to see anything. Most underwater videos of cats are in the winter months when water clarity is at its peak. What kind of camera are you using? Aqua View? Can you record it or take still shots? It would be cool to see.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It is one of the Cabela's units with the 7" screen. I think it has an output for a recorder really have not looked at it that much. Just got it the other night. I saw a guy last summer at Perry that had one and it was picking things up ok. They just came out with a new light that can be added to it to help out in muddy water. That is on the list to get once I have an income again. :sad2:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dan, I bought one a few years ago, actually 4, and never could get the thing to show worth a dang.

I may have to look at the new models to see if the technology has come along enough to warrant an upgrade.

Glad yours is kicking but for you.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I had heard mix results from them too. Today I was getting about 2'-4' of viewing. It was a gift so I guess if it does not work in the summer I'm not out anything. I did see they had a 4 view unit out. when viewing on screen it looks like a security camera with 4 little views and if you see something you can switch to fullscreen. It gives you that surround view mode.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dan, a friend of mine let me borrow his a few years ago, like Kyle said, I was using it in the winter when the water was clear, but still a little stained. I was on South Island on Milford Lake and did get to see a few fish. In the summer I couldn't see anything, just to stained/muddy. But I've been looking at the new ones too, and like you said, they've got a built in infra-red light that's supposed to let you see in the muddier/stained water. Soon as I die and get the insurance money, I'll probably buy me one:smile2:

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    If only it were that easy.:smile2:

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yeah, Kyle. I think the clear water will help on the pictures. Nice to document
    holding spots especially if they are referenced to flow levels. Gives you an
    idea where to drift a bait given the flow level when the water is at a higher
    temperature during the spring and summer. I have loved the idea of UW
    cameras for the masses since they started to come out. I predicted them
    in the late 80's when they became popular for unmanned deep water explor-
    ation vehicles used to plot out deep smokers off California. Fascinating data
    and I was into biology back then. It was a basic shift in understanding on
    the origin of life. Sunlight not nessecary as a source of energy in these
    tiny ecosystems, just thermal energy drives them. So, like, alien...

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'll make sure some of the money is used to get you one.:wink:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That is really cool Dan. Id like to know more about this. Where exactly were you at the spillway when you did this? Did you try below the waterfall downstream? Id like to come out with you sometime and see this. My brother in law Richard has an aquaview, its pretty cool using at Wyandotte at the paydock. Pretty frustrating when we can see 100's of crappie and trout down there, but they wont bite sometimes. :smile2:

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Dan you should tie that thing on to JJ. Now that would be a show worth taping:wink:

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats someting id like to see. it feel like cheeting or fishing in an aquarium but it would still be cool:cool2:

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was thinking about taking it out early in the season and getting an idea as to what the holes that I fish alot look like and the snags in them and what have you. Kinda my cheaper Side image unit. I did manage to find a rod and reel and a Cabela's quick draw pole holer with it already. So on that end it has been fun.

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was walking the outlet wall when I was using it. I thought about the waterfall but was limited on time and I was in slacks and a nice shit and tie so that area was out of the question. Hit me up some time and we can take it out and look around could even get a pole or two in the water.

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I wonder what people were thinkin, with you in slacks and a tie down below a spillway with an underwater camera. I am sure it turned some heads.:smile2: Probably thought you were with the Corps checkin for foundation cracks.:smile2:

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cool what rod and reel did you get? who was that member that lost there stuff in the capsizet boat? maybe you could start your own treasure hunting team.

19. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

I was lucky no one was there at the time. if there was and someone would had asked I would had told them I was just looking for bodies.:smile2:

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

It was a wally world special, but the pole was ok so now I have a new bait pole. I'm headed down to the main boat ramp at Lake Shawnee this weekend to see if I can find anything. Never know what is there.