Under water lights

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by misterwhisker, Mar 3, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Has anyone ever used lights to attract fish at night? if so how good did it work for you?

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Never used them personally but a couple of my buddies use them at night fishing for crappie and seem to have great luck. It attracts the bait fish therefore brings the bigger ones in!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Paul, me and a guy tried this one night on a lake. He had a submergable green light. We were fishing for walleyes and largemouth. It did draw schools of shad and baitfish under the boat, and every now and then you would see a larger shaddow blast through the lighted area. But, we didn't catch crap with it. I'm sure one has its applications, and situations, but I don't own one....rollo

4. crwcatter

crwcatter Guest

I use them quite often in the summertime for catching crappie and usually get into some hybrid and striper action on high rock.The ones I use are the styrofoam ones with a clear lens like a headlight,you just hook the cables to a battery and let them float around the sides of boat.I always use live minnows and small shad.

5. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We use them sometimes on the high piers up here on Lake Erie. We drop a coleman lantern to within a foot of the water and bring in the minnows. We have limited out on walleye doing this several times.
    We will suspend a fresh minnow on a drop shot, or just a plain gama hook. It works sometimes when nothing else will. Last summer I got a 30" channel doing this off Lorain Pier.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never used them but I know some people who has to me it seems like the fish bite better when its dark, but my cousin he use to have lights under his boat, to attract fish and it worked out for him so i guess its just whatever suits you the best.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Never have used them but have batted the idea around. I think if it draws minnows in the bigger fish should follow, IF they are in a feeding mood. That could be something to test this summer.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always wanted to try it for crappies. I hear it works great.