Under H2O Cameras

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by fishnfwl, Feb 13, 2008.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Was going to ask at the meeting, but why wait. Any of you fellas have the Aqua Views or any other Brand of the under water camera's? Just looking for your thoughts on there use. I know they are only good at certain times, (cleaner water) But I have found that it is very useful to spend a day on water with it and actually see what your "finder" is showing you. I have a H2O basics system, nothing fancy, black and white allows you to record with RCA video plugs, we use the portable VHS system, works well enough to get a good idea of how certain fish, and structure actually show up on your graph. Just wandering if any of you other fellas have tried or do this?
    Thanks Randy

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Probably a great tool in the right environment. I doubt you can see 3 inches in that nasty Mississippi Water. Might be cool to tie a piece of skipjack on the camera lens though and see what happens :smile2:

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Now that would be really neat to see! I don't know much about 'em, do they have night vision type qualities or a light source of some sort? I imagine that on the bottom of the Mississippi in 30-40 foot of water it's got to be awfully dark.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    yes, not much good in dirty water, but what you said does work well, we did that with some gill heads, over here in the lake and tilt the camera up it is some cool footage to see for sure, would be great to see a 50+ come in for lunch. Keeps the kids happy for a long time I do know that:wink:

Yes Bill it has infrared light and does light up well in cleaner water.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never used one myself but I have always been interested in such things. I do believe it could help on understand How to read the graph but also clue you onto feeding patterns or the affect of weather patterns.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't think you could get it to the bottom in the Mississippi River current, not even with three pounds of lead on it. Too much drag in the water.

Might be useful in a lake environment.

Piperat and I were playing around with this idea, then we saw Aqua-view had already cornered the market with a patent.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have one, it works fair in this lake for the water is pretty clear. Grand kids and I had fun with it around the dock. I've used it in crappie brush piles. It has a light for dark deep water but the bubbles show up bad.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you may not have to tie a piece of bait to it. on most of them i've seen the camera is in the shape of a bluegill. i would'nt want to use it much in flathead territory, unless you put a large hook on it!