Under age 35? You won't understand "part 2"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by puddle jumper, Aug 15, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    In the spirit of part one I pass this one on....
    Puddle:big_smile:
    Life was good,,,,

Somehow We Survived

If you lived as a child in the 50’s, 60’s, or even 70’s, looking back, its hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags, sometimes standing up in the seat so we could take in the same scenery that the adults and older kids did. We were known to take naps in the confines of the back window shelf on those long rides too; going to yes, (believe it or not,) visit friends and relatives. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat; I’ve had many a good sunburn that was caused by this. Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the times we hitchhiked to the local store for candy or to pick up a loaf of bread for mom as a youngster!)

We drank water from the garden hose and not some crystal springs plastic bottle. We would spend hours building our billy-carts out of scraps and then try them out down the nearest steep hill; only to figure out near the bottom that we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to resolve the problem. We even figured out ways to take our street skates and turn them into skate boards and scooters, (the foot powered kind.) All it took was a little imagination and a certain amount of elbow grease.

We would leave home in the morning while the dew still soaked the grass, and mom and dad never thought anything of it, as long as we were back when the sun went down. No one was able to reach us all day, unless they were able to whistle loud enough to get our attention, or at least get a chain message going through the network of neighbors to finally be able to get our attention. There was no such thing as a cell phone or pager, and the necessity was rarely required. This seems unthinkable in this day and age, doesn’t it?

We played dodge ball with a soccer ball or a partially deflated basketball, had green pinecone battles that left scratches and big blue and yellow bruises, and didn’t go home crying to mom; but rather toughed it out- shook it off, and went back to playing with our buddies. We even reenacted WWII, using sticks as bayonettes and our BB guns as weapons. I can distinctly remember digging more than one BB from my skin, digging numerous splinters from my bare feet, and scraping what seemed like gallons of hot sticky tar from my toes that I had played in on our newly paved asphalt, (two-lane,) neighborhood playground.

We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and yet there were no law suits from these accidents, after all they were merely accidents! No one was to blame for our misfortunes but us. Remember accidents? Wow, what a concept!

We had fights where we punched each other and got black and blue, but then the bruising turned yellow and we got over it, and most times we made friends with our opponents.

We got all dressed up on the rare occasions when we went to town with our folks, and always when we went to church; which was every Sunday and Wednesday night, come rain or shine. Singing in the church choir wasn’t considered sissy, but fun. Everybody dreamed of the day they would get out of school for summer, not just for a few weeks, but months. Summer camp and Vacation Bible School were the highlights, along with baseball and swimming, watermelon eating, apple bobbing, and visiting grandpa on the farm. Boredom was never much of a real problem, our imaginations were left to roam, and the time off made all that learning and school days worth it. Going back to school wasn’t that bad either, seeing old friends and earning new ones was a definite good time. The only gangs were the ones that everybody belonged to, and they called that type of outrageous activity school spirit.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, home-made fudge and churned ice cream, and drank cool-aid and sugary sweet flavored soda, but were never overweight because of it. We burned off all that “bad fatty food and starches” because we were always outside playing. We shared one Fanta Grape Soda with four friends, and all from the same bottle, and amazingly no one died from this.

We did not have Playstations, Ninetendo64, X Boxes, any video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video movies, DVD’s, CD’s, surround sound, personal bat phones (accept for the ones made out of string and tin cans, or the ones we imagined,) Personal Computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends to spend out time with, real people with names like Rusty, Skip, Todd, Sandy, and Dick and Jane. We went out into the street and yelled out for them to come out and play, and found new ones all the time.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s home and knocked on the door, or rung the bell, or just walked in and talked to them. Imagine such a thing! Without asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a guardian! How on earth did we do it?

We made up games using sticks and tennis balls, wiffle balls, and hand-wound balls of grandma’s sewing yarn. We ate worms and dirt and tree bark, (just to see how they tasted,) May-Pops, Blackberries, Honeysuckle, and chewed on sour grass. We smoked rabbit tobacco, if we couldn’t scarf a cigarette when mom and dad weren’t looking; or rolled some Sir Walter Raleigh using dads spare cigarette roller and licking papers. We even tried to dip some of Great Grandma’s TOPPS, knowing we would turn green and puke in front of our pals, and betting we wouldn’t all the while. Although we were told that it would most definitely happen, we didn’t put out very many eyes, nor did the worms or watermelon seeds live inside us forever.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment… Some students weren’t as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Test scores were not adjusted for any reason whatsoever. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one was there to hide behind. If we misbehaved in school, we got paddled or swatted on the hand with a wooden ruler, and we got it worse when the teacher called our parents and we got home. There was no such thing in my house as “spare the rod.”

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that! Parents were real moms and dads, with real jobs and values that they honestly held sacred, and the people they worked for (for the most part) would go out of their way for them and their families when they were in need. Our next door neighbor’s parents even filled in the gaps when our own parents weren’t around, making sure that we were safe and not causing mischief, and expected by our own moms and dads to bust our tails if we stepped too far out of line in their presence.

Christmas time was the very best time of every year. We didn’t expect thousands or even hundreds of dollars worth of gifts we’d probably never really use anyway. We were more than contented with a candy cane, a new glove, doll, or bat and ball, and a stocking overflowing with nuts, apples, and oranges. It wasn’t considered a big sales and buying event, and even old Uncle Bo put down his beer for a day and went to church to celebrate the birth of the son of God. Remember CHRISTmas, and not X-mas. Now that’s a definitive thought!

Our parents smoked Pall Mall, Lucky Strike, Home Run, and Marlboro cigarettes anywhere they wanted, and all without the threat of being arrested or ticketed. It was their choice to do so if they wanted. It was at that time still what was known as a free country. When there was a controversy about a political matter, all citizens over eighteen voted on the issue, and no court had to decide if they could do so either, it was an American right. Remember the true Constitution, By the People, and For the People?

We expected to grow old and wrinkled, knowing that there was true knowledge and wisdom in every deep crease and crow’s-foot. Our dreams were to grow up just like mom or dad. Honor was required by those with years and experience. The occupation of Plastic Surgeon wasn’t even heard of!

Our nation’s Soldiers were considered by all to be hero’s, respected and honored for life, not looked upon as hired killers and vagabonds or ignorant relics and old fools. And speaking of hero’s, ours were avengers and fighters of evil and wrong-doing, not criminals, thieves, homosexuals, and harlots.
    The generation I’m speaking of has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem-solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. Amazing isn’t it!

Are you one of us?

Congratulations!:wink:

Please pass this on to others that have had the good fortune as to grow up as real kids should, before lawyers and government regulated our lives; in what is now considered to be for our own good?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We had no cell phones but mom did have her trusty police whistle for when "supper" was ready, could be heard fo a mile on a clear day.

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Puddle you are so right I have talked aboout some of that to the young and get laughed at like the skateboard I don't think I ever owned a store bought and if your bike was old you rebuilt it not replaced it and was proud you did the stingray bike was for the rich so I made mine had the monkey hanger bars and the banana seat and the racing slick back tire
    Anybody got a time machine I want to go back
    And you could go fishin anywhere just by ask the owners permission:cool2:

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Puddle you are bringing back memories. Playing ball with a cut off broom
    handle and a the ball from a pack of jacks. what about building "forts" in
    the woods. Nine and ten year old boys useing axes and saws without any
    adults and building a campfire and cooking what ever we could slip out
    of the house.

5. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Forts where the best part of summer,,:smile2:
    How about camping behind the neighborhood with nothing but sleeping bags and one of the guys Radio's, under the stars, running all over the place all night, then when you finally settled down to get some sleep it would start to rain :eek:oooh:and you had to get everything together and make a run for the clooses friends house, to sleep on the porch...:wink:

Richard,
    Mine was just like that, It I had a pair of cut off forks hammered on the regular set to make it a chopper.:confused2:
    I had to exsplane to my 12 year old what a record player was the other day...:crazy:
    Puddle

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We just went fishing anywhere. We did'nt require permission. :smile2: LM_O

7. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Did all of the above but also spent half my time in a tree. I could show you the best way up any tree for blocks in every direction. Plus I did it all barefoot my feet were tough enough to run on gravel and walk on blacktop that was so hot you would sink in, heck sand burrs could not even slow me down unless they got between my toes.
    And pets....if you could catch it you brought it home and put it ia cage or jar for awhile and then let it go. I raised baby coons had a ground hog, Red tail hawk with a broken wing, a kid pool full of water turtles and every snake and lizard I could find.
    I truly feel sorry for kids today!

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You sure brought back a ton of memories for me. Gracious sakes,kids today,they don't know or understand what all they have missed,and that makes me sad. Sure wish we could go back in time and live it all over again.Thank so much for posting. It was indeed wonderful to read!! Reps to ya!!:big_smile: