Unconventional gathering with the KS BOC

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by 257bob, Sep 30, 2009.

1. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Well I haven't personally met most of you; however, I hope to soon. Maybe at Milford this month. I'll start by saying that I am an all around outdoorsman, I love to hunt and fish for just about anything. My idea is to have a Deer camp gathering for a weekend of archery hunting. Preferably in November right around the rut. I know that with 350 members and counting there has to be a few archers in the crowd. I know that there are some great public hunting options around some of the lakes that regular gatherings are held and that would also assist with campgrounds, but I am open to all opinions on location. I am looking for possibly planning out 13 months because its a little short notice for this season. I just want to know if there are any BOC'ers that would be interested. Thanks for checking out my post and I hope to meet you all soon.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Not a bad idea, but would like to see it maybe during the dates when muzzleloader and archery season are combined. I know its pre-rut, but if you dont shoot a bow you still have the muzzleloader option.

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I know center12 was big into archery for some time and ripped up his
    shoulder muscles. Maybe he could get into muzzleloading? Haven't heard
    much from him since the mega gathering back in June.Tom (n2fishn)
    tends to target crappie during the winter months. Tends to do well
    around Yuletide in December. Cold water crappie taste good, I hear.

4. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    I am open to all kinds of input here.

Rush I tend to enjoy hunting when the temps start to dip down to the 30's, but I think a muzzleloader/archery/maybe even catfish (for those die hards that just chase whiskers) gathering would be tons of fun. I am sure if we chose a lake wildlife area to hunt there would be a few gather to fish as well.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    It wouldn't be far to the public hunting areas from the School Creek campground, and there's pretty good Catfishing right there too. Just don't see where the "gathering" aspect would be though, one group off in the woods hunting, the othere in boats or shore Catfishing.:confused2: Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I would suggest doing it pre rut. My thoughts are that some people would not be willing to camp and hunt public land during the rut instead of their spots on private land. I won't be around next year to hunt, but it would be a hard decision for me to leave my good private land spots to go hunt public land during the rut if I was here.

7. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    Very good point, hadn't considered that.

8. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I'm game....can always use some help draggin one out!

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    cant hunt at night and i doubt there would be much fishin at night. sit around a fire and lie bout what we could of had that day :smile2:

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    That's a good point too J.J., probably excepting you that is, I'm sure anyone that "trespasses" on a log jam, wouldn't be adverse to engaging in a little "moonlighting" uh, or is that "spotlighting", let me know which one's right J.J.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i have been lucky enough to drive up on a good shot before though :roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Gotta have a foot on the ground, they tell me, or it's road hunting. It's
    given me a couple of nice shots but if I rush I tend to miss. Braced
    against the pickup, a 150 yd shot tends to be a possible ycaint pass up.
    Breathe. Always good to relax before squeezing that trigger slow...

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    heck, i was all good then. i stopped about a 1/2 mile down the road and walked back

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll have to check on out of state lie. cost but would love to hunt in Kansas. I turkey hunted the mined lands east of Parsons 2 years ago and deer were every where it seemed.

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    True. Lots of em around, to the point that some insurance companies
    make it more expensive to have a policy here since so many folks run
    them over during the rut. Car mashes them up a little, just better all
    around to go after them on purpose.