Uncle sam's at it again

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by richard dunbar, Oct 15, 2009.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I spent about 3 months trying to join the Army reserve after being on active duty for a little over 15 yrs. I was joining for what was supposed to be a 15K bonus. When all was said and done it was dropped to a 10K bonus for six yrs. I said ok, no worries and read and signed the contract for the 10K bonus. Upon arrival at my reserve unit they asked me for proof of my MOS wich I provided to them so they could submit my bonus. Now when I went to MEPS I took all my 214's and my NGB 22's wich shows plain as day 21yrs total military service. The MEPS councilor straight up told me I qualified for the bonus but when my unit submitted the paper work to finance they kicked it back and said I had too many yrs and did'nt qualify for the bonus because I had over 15 yrs time in service. Now every recruiter and career councilor I spoke to prior to that said yea your good and the MEPS person as well who does this every single day. You can't tell me no one caught this obvious disqualifier. And now there telling me that its not a breech of contract and I have to do the 6 yrs. Let me ask you this. Why would a 40 yr old man join the Army reserve for six yrs just because. My wife and I are livid and doing research to figure out if theres a way out of it. I would'nt mind doing 2 or 3 yrs just because, but six for just drill pay, they're high!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Rich,

Been a while since I worked one of these, since your are Title 32 V.S. Title 10, depending on your order status.

Best bet, rather than falling on the very few I worked for NG Soldiers who were on Title 10 Status, is to file a complaint with your IG.

You do have time limits working against you, and you will have to give back the entire bonus, if it gets disbursed.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Problem is, its not getting disbursed. If it was I would'nt be complaining :wink: I do appreciate the advise. I'm not NG, I'm Army reserve wich is suposed to be better, hmmmm. Any way I'll look into the IG and see where that takes me.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Been sweet if you could have scored ACRC..

I always was jealous of them guys.

I never heard about the magical people until it was to late for me to try..:embarassed:

5. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Oh man, I am sorry to hear that you are getting the Gov enema. Of course they are not going to give you a bonus, the way the Gov figures, you have enough years in that you are not going to get out & you will stay in long enough to retire & not have to be enticed with a bonus. They have you by the balls.
    On the other hand, I have seen situations where Guard/Reservist gets screwed over contractually and they just walk out...yep, off duty... and never come back. Nothing was ever done as far as administrative disciplinary action.
    Good luck & thank you for serving. :cool2:

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Good call with having the IG check things out. Don't let up... the more people that you get involved, the better.:wink:

7. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Maybe you had a prior C Zone bonus in an earlier contract? If not hopefully they straighten things out.

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Did they give you an eye test when you went in? If not, first day at reserve duty, go into the CO's office get up on the desk take a big dump and use some of his paper work for TP. When they call you in, tell them you cant see to good, and you thought it said Commode, instead of Commander. Then state that you are excited about being able to go to the range and shoot weapons..... also tell them when they come up with your 10K you will be back for you next session.

Hopefully this helps you out.

I feel your pain, 9 years military service here...

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    First day of Basic 47 years ago. The T.I. stands in front of our flight and the first thing he says is. Forget everything your recruiter told you, "HE LIED".:angry: I think that T.I. was the only person to tell the truth about anything the whole 4 years I was in.:confused2:
    Looks like not much has chanced in those 47 years.:sad2::sad2:

Hope everything works out for you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rich,when all else fails get ahold of your US, congressman,US Senator. You never know what they may do for you.Blue skies to you,and good luck
    smokey

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    You were the perfect candidate, a recruiters dream. BOHICA. I ain't sure no more but usually after 15 years they don't pay a bonus. Things might have changed. The system will also tell you that you shoulda known what you were signing. You shoulda known how it works. Blah, Blah, I will agree on one thing, all recruiters lie, or don't tell the whole truth. They are sales people and dont' figure to see ya again. When ya go back and talk to em they will pretty much deny everything. Nothing has changed in a while.

I've seen people sign up for certain MOS's and be found not qualified due to something and be given some other job but not let out. Claiming breach of contract might work, but it will take a long time usually. Good luck. Hopefully your experience and background will make a difference in the unit you go to. By the way, thanks.