Unbelievable Turtle Story

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Schoe, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    I was baiting my bank poles the other day and when I approached one that was moving around like I had a fish on it but it hadn't been baited in a couple of days. I came in slow and when i pulled up on the line there was definitely a lot of weight on the other end but not going nuts like it does when you have a large fish on. So lifting it slowly a huge snapping turtle head appeared and I reached out with a net and realized there wasn't one turtle but two. The big one on top had all four legs holding on to the one on the bottom and you can use your imagination as to what they were doing. They didn't come apart till i dumped them out of the net into my live well. The # 8 circle hook came free while they were in the net. The hook must have just been hung up on one of their shells to let go that easy.
    The bigger of the two, a male weighed 32 lbs and the young lady was almost 14 lbs. I processed the big one last night and am making some turtle stew out of some of him as I am writing this. Schoe

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Happy turtle stew...LOL

3. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Sounds like they got caught doing the nasty...lol

4. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Dale the stew is very good and I wish we were closer so you could try some. I will try to bring a Gal. or two to Fla. and some slow roasted chunks to munch on.

Yesterday I was fishing with my neighbor and he caught a big soft shell on pole and line and I had one in the live tank about the same size and a couple other snappers I caught on bank poles not counting the love makers. I probably had over a hundred lbs. of turtles in the live tank yesterday before I cleaned the big boy. I still have all the turtle meat from the Clinton gathering that needs to be used up. Schoe

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Schoe, I have been planning a few meals for the trip also. I deep fried my first turkey breast marinated with teriyaki and a cajun rub. Definately tasty!

6. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Hey Schoe since you eat turtle would you concider submitting a article on how you clean an prepare turtle.I know ther are some web sites that you can get the info.But I don't feel like pay for a video on how to do it.
    Loop

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Sure sounds good. Here those big bruisers are endangered.

Schoe, Whas the story of that big boy on your shoulder. I'd sure like to hear about him. Thas a hawg!

8. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    I have bee fishing ten bank poles at various locations to figure out good places to pole fish for Flats. I never did this method of fishing before but read about it on the BOC as I also read about jug fishing. Neither of thees methods have I ever used before this year and I guess to be honest kinda looked down on the methods being a rod and reel person and occasionally using trot lines.I guess that was hypocritical of me, and my loss over the years.

But now I am doing both and having a blast catching lots of big Flats in the teens,twenty's ,and a thirty two and the forty three lb. seven oz. one you are referring to. I'm putting together a story and pictures for my website that will be up shortly, hopefully by the end of the week. Schoe

9. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Dan, Are all snapping turtle protected there or just the alligator species? Also I sent you a P.M., did you receive it? Schoe

10. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Dale that deep fryed turkey sounds like a winner. I can almost smell it from here. Did you get my E-mail about the pre fishing issue for the Fla. Classic? Schoe

11. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Yes, I got it. I haven't recieved a call back from my next job yet, so I get to go fishing tomorrow. After I get back, I plan on making that cooler into a livewell on wheels...lol

12. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Sure didnt schoe. Congrats on a fine fish even though i might be late!

Just the alligator snapping turtle is protected from fishing. All the other turtles is game.

13. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Thanks Dan, It's never too late. I just wish I would have caught him on a pole and line. But there is one consolation to this and that is I'm learning their haunts and hiding places so I can fish for them with the conventional method when I have the time. Where I'm fishing the river is full of Flatheads and not that many people are fishing for them. Twenty five years ago there were a few guys that were shocking the log piles with old phone cranks and it really got out of hand and a big Flat was hard to come by. But the DNR cracked down on this and it has really made a difference.

I will send you another P.M. Schoe

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    loop. i just posted one for another member. should appear on the list of threads as cleaning turtles. also a good way for beginners to cook. never ate stew. shoot. ide seen this earlier schoe ide came for dinner. lol.