Un-belted:

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kat in the hat, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any of you reloading gurus ever reload any of the non-belted cartridges...like short mags? When I bought my .300 Win Mag, I wanted a .300 WSM mostly because I heard they were easier to reload. I ran across my rifle on clearance, and saved alot of cash. I have some brass saved up , and plan on investing in reloading stuff eventually. What are some differences in reloading between belted, and non-belted cartridges?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mat,There wouldnt be any difference loading for a belted vs non belted. The first thing you need to do is purchase two reloading manuals< one from a bullet mfg<and one from a powder mfg

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great advice Richard!!! Usually the reloading manuals have articles in them that are very informative and helpful.

Matt
    I stopped in at the gun shop yesterday and bought some reloading supplies. For a long time i could buy factory ammo nearly as cheap as reloading it. With the recent increase in ammo It is getting back to where reloading saves nearly half the price of factory.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you reload for standard cartridges, like 30-06, 270, 243, etc., then you're already loading a beltless cartridge. There's no difference between those cartridges, and the magnum beltless cartridges. There's really not much difference in loading between the beltless and belted cartridges. The only difference is where the cartridge headspaces. The beltless cartridge headspaces on the case shoulder, and the belted one headspaces on the belt.

After you fire the belted cartridge, then you can set the die or necksize only to have it headspace on the case shoulder also. You usually get a little better or more consistent accuracy that way.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I didnt know my cases even wore belts!!!:embarassed: