Un attended poles??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BLKCLOUD, Nov 26, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I sometimes leave my lines out overnight, usually check them at midnight and then its about 6am until the next check, I'm using big circle hooks, should I leave my line with slack in so they can run a bit, or reel it tight? thanks!

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont think it matters, i think a with circles if they eat the bait and start to swim off they will load up anything lighter than a Tuna Stick. If u have slack they just get to move a little more before loading it.
    I fish with tight lines everytime i cast out so that wind and waves do not affect the bait as much.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think either way would work, but maybe a longer looser line would keep the fish on longer. giving you more time to get back. It would be fun coming back and finding your rod bent to the water with a big one. :smile2:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Or Possibley finding no rod at all when you return, LOL!!!
    I never leave my rods unatended!!! In some areas it would be foolish to do this.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol JW, you can moor your boat to my pole holders. Go to the library and check it out if you don't believe me. And I'll bet that Keith doesn't leave his propped on a forked stick either,:wink:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well, that information was left out for some reason. We have newbies on here that don't know what kind of rod holders you guys are using and could be led to believe that they can be left unattended. That was the point I was making! Sorry if I messed up, LOL!!!

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Sorry 'bout the rod holders...if one took off with one of my rods, he would have to get the end of my dock also..:smile2:

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would leave it tight lined for sure. I would sent my drag just short of line breaking. The more etra line he has out there the more room he has to hang up with. I know you have a good holder and I'm sure you got the line to back it up with also.

-Jim-

9. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I would go with some slack in the line. Probably would work either way, but with some slack they would feel no resistance.
    Linz:wink:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Definitely tight line. You have all that slack in the line before it loads the pole, you probably have a gut hooked cat. May not make a difference if you fish for the table, but if you even slightly CPR, you don't want a gut hook. And if you do gut hook him and leave him on for long, that area of line above the hook is gonna get rubbed pretty good and probably need to be re-rigged after every catch.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    And in some areas, it's illegal...

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    To me that' NOT fishing when you leave a line out like that with out being there. To me that is just another way to use a set line and call it fishing just because it was a R & R that was used. Sorry but I just don't see how you can call that fishing.

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

As it should be with ALL other set lines as well.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    WOW Tony. Your sounding a lot like a bass fisherman. The thing of it is we all fish for different reasons. If you set jugs, trot lines, limb lines, yo-yo's or rod and reels, what is the difference as long as you pay for your license and comply with all other game laws. Thats one of the principles this country was founded on - our rights to be individuals.

15. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I would use a tight line but I would be afraid of leaving something out overnight for someone else to have.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Larry, that is a very good point. The thought crossed my mind but I wasn't fast enough to catch it. Thanks.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Jack.My "ieSpell" check wants to change Netmanjack to "Demoniac" first choice.Is this deliberate or accidental on your part?

Not in south Georgia Jack!We have extremely loose sandy soil.I had to go to 36-48 inches of 5/8 re-bar to hold them.I also made them out of 2" PVC as I had 2 older surf rods that had butts larger than 1 1/2 inch.Two Pipe caps that would slide inside with drilled 3/4 holes in centers,and assorted lengths of 3/4 PVC for spacers gave me a primitive axel bearing set up on any length of exposed re-bar and eliminated the excess play caused by the larger pipe over the re-bar.I beveled the ends where the rods entered and exited and then painted them 1 inch deep inside & out with liquid electrical insulation very lightly again and again,allowing each coat to dry for two days.I now have cushioned rod holders so that the hard PFC cannot rub or scratch the paint or the finish on rod or reel.It is firm but softer than the PVC.It can be easily repaired by brushing on more if needed.No need so far and I made them shortly after you posted them.Thanks again.

I am saying the following on memory from many years ago.This ain't todays rules unless it has never been changed.I was once told by a game warden,possibly in Florida but not sure,that a pole out of sight in your line of vision was a abandoned pole and he was instructed to confiscate the pole and write a ticket if he located the owner.It was between you and the court from there on.Also that the Court was fining you if your pole "was abandoned"and you reported it stolen.The same if anyone had "Found" a abandoned pole and reported it,and it was later reported stolen.If no one claimed it as stolen,it was yours after a certain length of time.He said the court decided on ownership and whether it was stolen or abandoned.I think this applied to limb lines,trot lines etc.Confusing.I thought.How about it Florida folks?Any knowledge on the present laws?

If you ain't right there or you don't have it properly tagged in Georgia,It is illegal.If it endangers others,it is illegal.

I personally have never been able to leave a tied down rod & reel or long line pole on a dock or pier that did not sooner or later get tangled in the pilings or something,if enough line was available to the fish.I have seen 20 foot Calcutta and fiberglass poles with short,weaker lines used to eliminate this.The weaker line keeps a large fish,boat or log from breaking your pole.If you do it long enough,some of these things will happen.Even fishing in a "Bait pond" for big shiners you can have Gators,large birds,Otters,Weasels,Mink or even Coons steal your catch or bait along with your pole.Something has to give.

People will steal gear from boats,bank and dock.I have known people fishing on a public fishing pier to have their attention diverted while someone else walked off with expensive gear.The same for trusting someone while you go to the restroom is also a great way to loose it all.Even fishing alone can leave you robbed,naked,dead and lucky to float so that your family can bury you.I say lucky as unlucky no one will ever know what happened or where you are.This is experience talking as I have fished with some of the people that have been caught doing these things and none of us knew until they were caught and convicted.I would not have known some of it had I not been told as I was on vacation when fishing around the murdered man and the nice helpful pair that did it.I was told that they were checking us all out and waiting for the best opportunity and the most gain with the least risk.

I have used Circle hooks commercial fishing weighted,un weighted,tight lined and loose.They don't hook until the line goes tight.I think slightly loose to tight works best.I think that the kind of fish and the way they bite makes a difference.With slow moving live bait & Chain Pickerel down South,they want to carry it 4-6 feet and stop before they really take the bait into their mouth good.I have watched them in clear water.They nail a faster moving live bait or lure.I like those in between AC-DC hooks that go both ways."kahle"

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i love leavin lines out over night, i usually keep em tight, and i always use a good rod holder, and tie them up to somethin sturdy, ive caught some good ones, but i always eat the ones i catch over night. but defanitly go with tight, its better for the fish, and it makes it harder for a line break, cause if they swallow it, like mr. lawrence said it wares down the line, and depending on size it could break the line and swim off with a gut hook.

19. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    I believe it is popular custom to leave out "throw lines" secured with a railroad spike along parts of the trinity river every spring here in TX. In fact its probably the one sure way to catch a big catfish as it usually takes more than 24 hrs before a big fish will take the bait. Most of us dont have that kind of time to wait out the bite. As for leaving rod and reel uattended-I wouldnt as it would most likely get ripped off.
    For me catfishing is a "hands-on" experience-wouldnt have it any :crazy:eek:ther way.Sorry.

20. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Tight Lines, circle hooks, good rods and rod holders. Let the gear handle the fish until you return. I have done it several times while camping. Of course, it depends on the area you are fishing. The more cover there is, the more like to never see the fish.