Um?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by deadly_legend, Oct 5, 2008.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Has anyone tried Catfish Guts?
    They sell Shad guts at the local bait shop for $7, and i didnt want to waste the fish i caught, so i took the guts and everything (even the tail and a few fins lol) and put them in a jar and stuck em in the freezer, i was wondering if anyone else has tried this. if so how has it worked? and if not, do you think it will work?

Thanks for Reading and any input :big_smile:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I can only speak for channels. They go nuts over any kind of gut pocket. :crazy:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I used to trap and used to keep fish guts from the summer to use for trapping in the winter for coons. Once when I baited with cat guts at the edge of a big creek the rains came and flooded the creek several feet. By the time it came back down and I was able to get back to those traps I had a catfish in one of the traps I had baited with cat guts.

So to answer your question. Yes I think it will work especially on channels.

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Next to live bait, that has to be one of my most used baits. What I do is when I clean a mess of fish I save the trimmings, heads, and guts. When you go to hook the guts feel for a hard knot. I have no idea what the knot is, but I know it stays on the hook really well. Be careful sometimes there are small hooks that they have swallowed. And be sure to check your state regs before using.

5. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    how do you use the head??
    wow, so i could basically use the entire fish that i dont eat? because i dont want the fish to go to waste, as i said.

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually hook threw both eyes or just above and threw the bottom and top lips. On larger fish heads I trim away the lower half of the head from the bottom lip down. About the only parts of the fish I don't keep is the skeleton, fins, and tail. I never have tried using catfish heads, but I do use their guts and they work really well.

7. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hmm i see, i will have to try using the heads sometime, and im using the guts today.