Ultralight tackle question

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by BigCat72, Mar 5, 2007.

1. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I was woundering if anyone could give me some tips on good ultralight combo's. I wanna get a combo to catch my bait with, think it will be a blast with ultralight rod.

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    If you really just need it to catch bait, buy one of the Quantum Xtralite or Zebco Ultralight combos. Catfish Connection has the Zebco combos for $16. Any ultralight reel and rod combo will work. Use 2 to 4 pound line and get a rod that is 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet long. I use hooks from size 10 to 20, and small split-shot from 2BB on down. If you want any hook smaller than a size 10, just look at fly-tying hooks. If you catch bait at creeks that have high banks or brush around them, a short rod is easier to maneuver. I use a Browning combo like this and often catch carp in the 2lb to 4lb range, while fishing for bait. If you can find the European hook disgorger's where you live, buy one or order one. They come in handy for bait fishing. They keep you from tearing your bait-fish up, if they swallow the hook. I also pinch the hook barbs down, so that the bait-fish are easier to get off of the hook. Pinch the barb down at its point, so that it leaves a hump. This hump will hold your bait on. I use maggots. They are clean to use and fish love them. You can catch several bait-fish on them before re-baiting. I got off of the subject, but I hope this helps you

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Fenwick makes an exceptional light tackle rod. I use the IM7 paired with a Shimano Stradic 1000FH

Attached Files:

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just go to Wal Mart and buy a cheap rod and spinning reel. They usually carry some cheap Abu Garcia small spinning reels. Then get some sabiki rigs and your in business. It is a blast to get into the skip jack with the smaller rigs. I always bank fish the Mississippi and after the lines are in, thats when I get the ultra lite and start casting for bait. It gives you something to do while waiting for the blues.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got a few shimano spinning reels (stradic and sahara), but about 1.5 years ago I bought a Quantum Catalyst for my ultralight (brim and American shad mostly). Man what a reel. Smooth! And that TiMag bail is the only way to go. You ought to try one sometime.

Also, I like the zebco spinmatic rods. Good rods for not a lot of money. Getting hard to find, though. Cabellas used to cary them, but not anymore.

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    You can go cheap or you can go inexspensive i use a bass pro micro light rod 8ft. ml power IM6 with a quality reel not to be confused with expensive and you can land even bigger fish should that present itself which we all know often happen when we are fishing for smaller quarry a good rod and reel can be a blast for that occasional unexpected guess also. You can by cheap and hope for the best my combo cost a little over 50 bucks and it has done it all from yellow perch to steelhead on 4lb. test

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    mitchell 308x with a 4 or 5 ft. one piece ultra light ugly stik:tounge_out:

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok I'll bite, what the heck is a sabiki rig?:0a28:

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    For many years, Shakespeare put out a little telescopic ultra-light combo for around $25 that was awesome, I owned 4 of them and caught a ton of fish on them.....but the quality/durability has went down a lot over the last few years...the reels are junk.

Last spring, i went with my father to buy some poles/reels/combos as he had quit fishing about 10 years ago....i moved back to TN and since i fish a lot, He decided to get back in the game..COOL!

ANyways, he picked up 3 combos....his choice for a lightweight combo was a Pflueger President(?). It's not cheap, but not a wallet breaker either...$50-60. That rig is awesome! I've used it a couple times and that is the smoothest/nicest casting light combo i've ever used! It is SWEET! I will get one myself at some point.

cyas
    robert

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    when you buy a combo either the rod or the reel is somethin thyr trying to pawn off on you. better off just gettin a mitchell reel and an ugly stik rod. it might cost couple dollars more but itll last yu:big_smile:

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
  12. Catfish_John1979

Catfish_John1979 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    Hey don.. for my bait rod i use a 5ft one pc ugly stick light... reel is a mitchell 310 gold.. absolutely one of the finest ultra light reels around.. 10bb... instant anti reverse... very nice combo... i love it

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned the ol' tried and true, ol' faithful, been around 50 or so years..........

Zebco 33. Attach it to a $6 wally world special rod and you have yourself a fine bait-catchin machine! I bought some no name brand rod at Wally's about 5 years ago and still have it. I've been through a couple of reels in that period of time but I've also caught thousands of skipjack and probably a couple hundred bass and/or bream.

I reckon it all depends on how much you want to spend on the combo. You can get a 33 for $15-20 and a lightweight rod for less than $10 or you can get a combo that costs its weight in gold...

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a light action 5'5" lightning rod that I've had for about 15 years, that sucker's caught a truckload of fish. I've been through lots of reels on it, but the one I've settled on lately is a bps xps ultra light reel. That's one bad little reel, I picked it up brand new at a pawn shop for $20. Theyr'e about 60 or 70 bucks at bps.

15. ibcleary

ibcleary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just picked up a BPS microlight ultralight rod 6'6". Paired it with a Zebco 11 platinum I bought for the wife (she could not cast it as easy as the 33). I spooled it with 4# lo-vis stren. What I great combo, less than $40. I scored 7 hand sized Bluegills on wed and a few smaller. Great fun.

16. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my favorite is the zebco platinum rhino rod combo. cheap enough to have several rigs to carry so you dont have to retie all the time. just grab another and cast.:006:

17. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    quantum x-tra ultra lite combo is what I Like