Ultralight fishing reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flannelman, Mar 20, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

anybody know of any good ultralight spinning reels that arent too expensive? i need to get a new one for this upcomming season. any suggestions would be great

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know of a great rod and reel from Walmart called a "Microspin". It is made by Shakespeare and I recommend it.:)

3. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Quantum XR00F

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i found a really nice pfluger ul reel at bass pro last year for $20. its not really tiny but small enough. best to find a reel with a long spool, longer spools increase casting distance greatly. problem with almost all ul reels is that they have very narrow spools.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just bought a Shimano Symetre 1000 and it is the smoothest ultralight reel out of the 15 that I tested in the store. It was a little pricey at $80 but well worth it to me.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Mitchell 310 ultra lite reel ulgy stick ultra lite 5'.6" rod, nuf said!

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have a quantum XT00 ultra lite that is very smooth and its mounted on a IM6 quantum torsion 1piece 5 foot fast action rod .

well it was 5 foot till son took it through the door with a hanful of other poles and used his foot to close door behind him????
    now its 4 foot 10 inches:crying: .

i think our texas brother tbone has one just like this too maybe less the broke tip;) .

its a great little ultra lite setup. i had to get them seperate at wally.
    i dont know why they dont have a matching combo like this but they should.

i have a a set up like rory said too but the difference is the ugly UL has a slow action tip and i use that one with tiny circle hooks. the fast action tip is better for jiggin and fast hook sets.

ya cant beat a little mitchell 310X they are sweet action reels too.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I really like the small shimano reels like the tx 2000. There are also a couple smaller reels from shimano around 15-20$.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flannelman,
    I use a Quantum Micro MS00 spinning reel.
    It has never failed me and didn't cost much. Now that was maybe ten years ago. I cant say what price they are now. If you are going to get one don't be cheep! for five or ten bucks more you can have one that will last you the rest of your life. Take real good care of it and pass it down to another generation..............

By the way, I still think it is a skunk lol

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    My favorite is Shimano and I get mine at Walmart. They are less than 20 dollars and they set right nicely atop an Ugly Stick.

ST

11. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Shimano reels with the Quickfire option have served me well for years!:thumbsup:

12. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'll second (or third) the 310 Mitchell. I've got one on a 5'6'' light action Lighting Rod. Sweet little outfit.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Put a UL or lite spinning reel on a lite fly rod.Those little bitty fish will give you a big fish fight.You can be having a ball during all of those hours that you are waiting on that big cat to bite that big rig.Fun is the name of the game,and this will do it.peewee-williams

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Ya'll don't laugh but my main catfishing rig is a 12 ft. B & M crappie jig pole, Shimano light spinning reel, 20 lb. Power Pro, Looper rig and Danny King punch bait. This is my drifting rig. I know, I know, it won't handle the big boys but I've caught several in the 5 lb. range and 1 8 pound blue. Boy he was fun.

ST

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Recommend A Zebco Micro 11 Spincast Combo. You Can Pick One Up At Wal-mart, They're Very Affordable & Work Nicely.

16. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    great rod and reel from Walmart called a "Microspin". It is made by Shakespeare and I recommend it. I also recommend its real fun for caughting bluegills

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cherokee, I agree those are nice ultralights, what size line do you have on yours?

Zakk:)

18. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I got a couple from bps that were paired with ugly stiks. Ive used them to catch channels and bass in ponds and man is it fun.

19. flannelman

flannelman New Member

thanks for the info guys. ill see wat i can pick up

20. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    any ultralight shimano with fightin drag.the more you spend the better you'll like it. a good shimano will last a very ,very long time if you will take care of it.