Ultra lite

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Wallbass, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How many of you have tried using Ultralite Equipment for the smaller cats???

2. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    It works and it is funnnnn. some times i cant go as light as i would like to due to wear and tear on the line from rocks and such. it can be a blast to do, just remember you will lose some due to snapped line and missed hooksets.

3. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Oh my gosh, I purchased one of those 3ft spin cast combos for $18. I think it had 4lb test? very thin line...I was goin to use it to catch small sunfish and sure enough I caught a huge carp, drum, and some eatin size cats on this small pole ...I had a pole bending blast! I don't have to worry about rocks..just have to be careful not to snap the line! but it was so much fun! it felt like I had a monster on my dinky pole
    Love it..

4. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have a done it, and I think I've got the best of both worlds too! I use a 5 ft light action rod, with a Mitchell S2000 reel (not totally dinky, but not big either). I have it spooled with 20lb braided line (6lb diameter). I usually tie on a 1ft mono leader (20lb as well) and I get all the sensitivity of ultra light, all the action of ultra light, but my line never breaks and I have a blast! I only do this in a pond I fish that has a bunch of 1lb cats, with the largest probably being no more than 10lbs (I hope I'm wrong).

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well not exactly ultra light but I use my Shimano Stimula rod light medium with a Shimano Sonora 4000. I also have a blast using this I use ten pound line especially when I hooked into that huge carp two months ago.

6. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have broken rods, broken lines, and I still think its a hoot. I have heavier tackle that normally fish with but I try to take a lite outfit also because it is so much fun to fight the cats on ultra lite. In other words I really enjoy it.

7. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I caught a 7 1/2 pounder on utralight on 4# test at my brother-in-law's lake. It took about a half hour to get it into the bank. It was a blast.

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    To get the real fun from "ultra light" you gotta use ultra light equipment. Rod, reel and line need to be rated for 4 pound or less. 10 or 20 pound lines or leaders ain't ultra light....

9. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    EricM caught a 30 blue on 4 pound line...took him seven hours to land it. Many years ago we were cattin and having lots of small ones knock off our bait. I got out my ultra light outfit with 4lb line and started catching them small ones. I did alright on the small dinks and had a blast but as luck would have it a real big one just flat tore me up...lol....I never even slowed that brute down.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't really use an ultralight for cattin', but I have caught a few nice cats while fishing for bluegill and crappie in the 6-7# range. It is a rush catching a good sized channelcat on tiny tackle. Especially when it's a total suprise.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I used to a bunch, there's just not many places where I live now that you can get away with it. Back home we used to fish behind an old dam and fish free line livers and catch as many channel cats as we wanted to. I still remember catching my first "big" catfish when I was in 7th grade. It was about a 8-10# channel cat in a farm pond. I caught it on 2lb test on those old Quantum Micro Lite combos you could get at Wal-Mart. The guy was feeding his fish and I was using trout dough catching bluegills when that big cat took it. Took me forever to get him in and as soon as I got him in the net the line broke and he was hooked in the friggin' whisker. It's an experience I'll never forget. So yeah, UL's are a fun way to fish for cats if it's at all possible:big_smile:

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    On small creeks, where casting is a futile effort, I use a flyrod, but fish it like a cane pole, with a small float over a worm or grasshopper. It catches everything, including cats. Big fun!

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    No not specifically but have caught them bullheads and a few lil channels on them though. I save the U.L. gear for panfish & trout...ect. Funner than all heck though tuggin in a fiesty bullhead on a 4 # test line...gets a little hairy..LOL
    :smile2:

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have and have used an ultr light for years. I mostly use it for trout in the state parks that are stocked locally. One time while trout fishing, I hooked in to a 12# carp. Felt like I could have waterskied behind that fish.
    I do look forward to the day I can hook into a big kitty with my ultra rig!

15. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    i've only ever caught small channels with an ultra light from a farm pond

16. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I started fishing the states FWA lakes in a conoe. Lot of small fryer size Channels good fight....Jeff :)

17. Trophy-Minnow

Trophy-Minnow New Member

State:
    ohio
    light equipment is a lot of fun but i still use line more than capable of bringing in the fish. I just set the drag down low. I'm too worried that i'll overdo things if i use the light line and just hate loosing fish as it is, let alone with a hook and a bunch of line attached.

18. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Every time I go,Iv got my little Blue-Gill rig with me and when I get bored I hook up some lil cats with it,2lb test line it is the best...