Ultra Lite Fight

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kennylee, May 5, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Hey even a middle aged, prematuring gray headed man, has a blond moment everyonce in a while, lol.

I was crappie fishing at Ceder lake IL. last week, we were anchored in 20 ft of water casting into a blow down catchin crappie, I looked at the fishfinder and there are fish on the bottom right under the boat, so I grabbed the rod I wasn't using put a dead minnow on it and dropped it down.

My bait didn't make it to the bottom before my pole doubled up, fish on, oh didn't mention my second rod was a 12 ft ultralite with 4 lbs. line, I'm standing up in the boat and my rod tip is bent all the way to the water!

I held that fish for maybe 5 minutes and I couldn't do anything, I never moved it a bit, that fish had my rod maxed out and was pulling line on every surge until it finally got wrapped up in a snag. So long kittie.

I did find out my 12 footer has a lot of back bone, but no pulling power, lol. (lucky it's still a 2 piece rod)

2. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man it sounds like you need abigger rod lol.

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Could have been worse, you could have had a 5 ft. rod

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    When you lose 'em, they can be any size you want. Thanx for telling us about the monster that got away!!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we have hung into some big cats when jigging for crappie, it's a good fight while it lasts.

6. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    hey "cold front" with this rod it wouldn't have to be the big one, lol, the funny thing is we couldn't fish for the cats because the only gear we had in the boat was ulta lite. We did end up with some nice cappies.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    My uncle crappie fishes in the Guncreek area of Rend Lake in illinois at 5 and 5 every day. he doesnt like catfishing, but every once in a while he hooks into a good flathead that pulls his entire boat around until he gets it close enough to take the hook out.

8. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    That sounds like some crazy fun. If i were you i would try that again. Good story.