Ultra Lite bass fishing

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by C Hill, Jun 15, 2007.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    Went fishing at a private pond with my new UL. It's a 4'8" ugly stik. Caught the 3 pounder in the picture and a bunch oif 1-2 pounders all on 4 lbs. test. It was the most fun I've ever had bass fishing.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on some nice fish. When you use Ultra-lite your skill shows up. It is a barrel of fun. One guideline I use is to catch a fish :lol::big_smile:and tare off a foot or two of line. This is important when useing light lines. (4#-6#)

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bought an ultra light yesterday. Took it to a bass pond today, first bass was probably a pound to pound and a quarter. Broke my pole. sigh. I think it must have been dinged pretty good while on display in the store... can't think of any other reason it would break on a bass that size. After that, I got out my ugly stick and caught 18 on worms.

4. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    What kind of ugly stik do you have(length and action)?

5. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    not bad good fishin, i have one of those UL rods, they are great b/c every fish seems like a huge fish and they are fun to catch fish on!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have a six foot ugly stick with medium action and Abu 6000 for one of my bass poles. Use that one for worms. Also use a six foot medium action ugly stick with a penn for lures. Look like a cop car with so man different antennas when I go fishing. LOL

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Chase,

:worship: "Good Job Buddy"!
    :0a23:

I also have one of those 4' 8" Ugly Stik Rods that I use for my Bluegill fishing.

So I know how much fun catching that Ba$$ was.

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Took my pole back to Academy's last night. No questions asked, they gave me an exchange. I like shopping that store. lOL

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I love fishing with my ultralight! I actually, have a couple different ones, including my favorite, a really limber fiberglass rod that I got at BassPro. My favorite way to catch bass with my ultralight is to tie on a 1/0 worm hook and fish plastic worms. No weight, though. The hook is usually enough to make it sink. You can really zing it accurately with the little rod. When you set the hook it always feels like you have a monster. I rig my reels with 4# spiderwire. I haven't been broken off yet and that even includes some fat trout.

Lawrence, that stinks with your pole breaking like that. Especially on the first fish. At least Academy took care of you.

10. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    What kinda pole was it?

11. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    That's I usually use except I add a small splitshot. I caught all the fish I caught that day on a small rebel grasshopper. I would have used the worm and splitshot but I lost my last 4" powerworm in a tree on my first cast.:tounge_out:

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea as to the brand. I liked it because it was so daggum limber. You could flip a 1/8 ounce lure from here to there. That little bass sure put a big bend in the pole...didn't even get a chance to pull the drag before the pole broke. Like I said, I think someone in the store was testing it out and probably hit the rack or something...it sure snapped fast and easy.

13. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea i gotta agree that the uglystick is my choice for rods. i have never had one fail me yet !! oh and just a word of advice never ever purchase a 99 cent fishing pole from ebay it couldnt even handle a 4# carp as it proceeded to snap in two after i set the hook. and boy was i the laughing stock of the group that day!!:crazy: i thought i could save a few bucks and as it so happened it bit me in the rear . oh well live and learn !!!:wink:

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on the bass, I dont have enough nevers to try UL Bass Fishing I always use a Abu 5000 and a 6 Med Action Rod with 12lb test line.

15. fester

fester New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use a Quantum Xts with a shakespeare rod.. nice little setup

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Those are some nice fish man. Back in the day that's all I used to fish was ultralight rods. Those bass sure are a good fight on those little rods. I love that little crickhopper lure and you can't really go wrong with a Beetle Spin tipped with a piece of red worm. Me and a buddy of mine caught 12 different kinds of fish in a private lake here in NC in one afternoon on ultralights and beetle spins, it was a ton of fun.

17. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on the fish!!! My wife and I fish ultra light on everything with 4 pound test even a gill feels like a whale! She landed a 6 pound 26 inch bass on hers last year!! She fought that devil for about half hour for I got it netted!!:embarassed:

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Come on dont be chicken!!! Once you fish with ultra - light you will be hooked!!:tounge_out: