Ultra big flathead catfish, ultra light line, part 2

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by liveforcattin08, May 1, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    last friday night on my home river the great miami river i tried for the first time to use ten pound mono on one of my larger cat rods. my buddy and i were flippin bluegills and i hooked up, and after about 15 min we were preparing to land the fish, it took another line ripping run and after i was able to get the fish under control and back into shallower water my buddy pointed his head lamp and said that we were too close too the log jam and almost instantaniously the fish ran right in to the jam and came off, the funny thing was he didnt break my line but the hook got turned out:cry: does any one know what the record for ten pound mono on a flathead is? ill keep everyone updated on my attempts!

2. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Good luck on setting a record. You may also want to switch to either 8 or 12 lb test as they dont seem to keep 10lb test records. Igfa.org is a good place to check records.

Catfish, flathead Pylodictis olivaris 04 kg (8 lb) 65 lbs. 4 oz. - 29.59 kgs Pickwick Lake Mississippi, USA Wade Arnold Mar. 21, 1987 LC

Catfish, flathead Pylodictis olivaris 06 kg (12 lb) 91 lbs. 4 oz. - 41.39 kgs Lake Lewisville Texas, USA Mike Rogers Mar. 28, 1982 LC

3. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I would love to catch a big flat head on light line.However I fish the mississippi river and theres to many things for them to snag up on here. i do not have the luxury to play with them. I have to use 50 or 70 lb spider wire to hog them out as quick as possible.

4. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a ton of cover along the banks so next time i will be using my canoe

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Last year i caught a 28 pounder on a 2 inch creek chub with 12 pound test in a warm water outlet with strong current took me about 20 minutes to land fish here is pic

Attached Files:

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Is it that the record keepers don't recognize the 10lb test or is it that no one has ever submitted a record catch using 10lb test?
    thanks
    Larry

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    These are the IGFA line classes from their rulebook on the website:
    http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf

Line Classes
    U.S. Customary
    2 lb
    4 lb
    6 lb
    8 lb
    12 lb
    16 lb
    20 lb
    30 lb
    50 lb
    80 lb
    130 lb

They also have limits, Blues and Flats are 130 lb line, Channel are 80 lb and white cats are 20 lb.

8. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I have landed 3 flathead weighing over thirty pounds on 8# test
    one of them was over 40!