Ultimate Set-Up for catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bodie, Jun 24, 2007.

1. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you think the perfect rod and reel set up is for flats or blues? What kinda of line would you put on there also.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 or 6500C3 and a MH Ugly Stick Catfish Rod.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As we are all individuals with different abilities,methods,conditions,taste and judgment,what makes you happy at the time is the perfect rig.I have never fished for flats,and never fished just for Blues.I have fished for "frying pan size" cats all of my life.Where,how,time of year all make a difference.I have no idea of the number of different rods,reels and combo's I have used and been happy with in my 55+ years of cat fishing.Many times in my life I have seen what was perfection for one be actual misery for another.Many do seem to believe that what they like and use just has to be perfection for everyone else.I don;t.Even your physical condition and build of your body makes a lot of difference in types and ways of fishing.You did not say what size,if any you are fishing for.Your question has been asked many times.Personal preference is seen as "Perfection"by many in the past.I wish you luck in a old,old question.There are just too many variables to have perfection for all situations.The conditions and situations that you fish,along with your preferences and experience with different rigs are needed to even start guessing.If there was a perfect rig,you would not have to ask.It would be the only one that everyone would be using.I love you brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Josh ,it dosen't matter what everyone else thinks,all that counts is what you think the rigth set-up is. Your the one fishing with it...
    good luck.

5. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Like they say Each person is different. I like the Ugly Stick Tiger Rods and either Abu. 6500 or the Abu.7000 lever drag reels. I think I want to try the Shimano Charter Special.
    Have a great and safe day.
    Walter

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Billy has told you right. Fish your way ( strength), not someone elses. Fish with some friend and try different equip., you will soon know what is right for you.:big_smile:

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well perfect is a matter of choice , i purchased a particular rod following the advise of the brotherhood which did not work for my needs but none the less a decent rod but . I must say i still value very much the years of knowledge brought here by so many. I dont see how all these years of expreience can be wrong , but with that said find the equipment that suits your needs you can be confident with . Now as for recommendations ther are a couple of rods that come to mind for me first off is the surge rod , and my personal favorite the tiger rod by shakespeare . chose the action to fit your needs both have seemingly unlimited backbone the tip action sets them apart the Med. power has a softer tip for feeling lite biting fish while the MH power version has a stiffer tip that might me needed on fast flows of some rivers with heavier weights and baits . Either will handle any fish you can hook on your quest for that once in a lifetime fish its all boils down to preferance . Ultimately if at all possible feel them , fish them , then chose . Good luck on your journey .

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the 2000 LD Charter Special on a BP 1054 7 ft. Hvy.Act. Powerplus Trophy class rod 1-4 oz. Lure Wt. 12-30 lb.line.I really like being able to set the drag to where I can use the reel as a "bait feeder" like my Okuma CD 90/s.I have 20 lb.mono on it.You should be able to use some heavy line of choice with 33 lbs.of advertised drag with a quality control standard of 100 miles.I wish I had it 50 years ago! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :misdoubt: Thanks for the information.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Like peewee says, we're all individuals, so whatever "trips yo trigger" is the best setup....Mine is a "Blackhorse Custom Rod" with an Abu Garcia 7000iC3......Another favorite for my smaller reels like my 6500 Blackcat and Pflueger Trion 66 reel is the 7'0" Tiger Lite rod....It's a shame they don't make em in an 8'....IMO, smaller reels are more of a pleasure to cast, but lacks the "horsin" ratio's of the 7000iC3's @ 4.1:1 ratio.....Dwight

11. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi, Im new to the site. im just wanting to know why everyone uses MH rods? I have a catmax 10 ft hvy rod and it torqued when i pulled in a 35 & 25 lber last year on the mississippi.

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Howdy & welcome. Fresh or salt water,I always picked a rod to suit my reel and vice verser.The fish that I "targeted" all of my life were mostly the smaller or eating size.In salt and tidewater I got spooled with 50 and 80 lb.rated rods,reels and line with out slowing down what I hooked.The same thing happened regularly with lighter gear.I used whatever suited me and whatever I could afford.No other reason.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

13. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish in fresh water in Quincy Il. A buddy and I start going fishing this time of the year frequently.

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    mcblugill,

I like the MH rods because I don't like the "stiffness" of the H rods...I'm like peewee, the ones I catch are the smaller eatin size.....Dwight

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It varies by manufacturer and model. For example, a MH Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger is stiffer than many manufacturers Heavy action rods. Also, in lower current situations, a more flexible tip can help with spotting a light bite, and offers some advantages when fishing for smaller fish. Just different needs for different situations.

And before I forget, welcome to the BOC!

16. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the info. I just might go and pick one up this weekend. I need another rod and reel setup anyway.:big_smile_2:

17. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Man oh man, there's no easy answer for this one. I think if somebody said to me "Come on Dinkslayer, we're going fishin for big ones!", I'd mount my Abu 7000CL Big Game on a medium action Ugly Tiger rod. It's spooled with #50 Power Pro. I'd throw a 4oz. sinker with a 4/0 to 8/0 Gama circle hook. That's what I do, anyway.

The one I enjoy throwing the most is my 6500CL Big Game on a 10' American Rodsmith surf rod. I put the same 4oz. on it and let er rip! It doesn't always go where I'm aiming, but it goes a long ways.

Seriously, I have both the medium and medium/heavy action Tiger rods. I prefer the medium. For me the medium/heavy is just too stiff. I bank fish with rod holders, and I like the way the medium has a little flex in the tip.

Right now I'm using a lot of #50 Power Pro, but when it's gone, I plan on switching to #65 or #80.

Doug

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Fishing is like mechanic work there are different tools for different work. However to answer your question in my opinion the ultimate cat rig for me is a medium 7' Ugly Stik Tiger rod with a 7000 iC3 Abu Garcia reel spooled with 40 pound P-Line CXX Premium mono.

Cheez

19. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    The Abu Garcia Workhorse 6'6" MH rods work well for me. I have a Garcia 6501C3 on one and a 7001 Big Game on the other one,both spooled with 65lb Power Pro red line. :006: