Ultimate off road rig!!!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 26, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have had 2 vehicles that were unbelievable off road 1972 Landcruiser and a 1964 International scout. Both of these vehicles out performed my dodge and went around a pulled on hummer buried to frame. But the key to both these rigs was they both had detroit lockers in them!!

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd ditch the landcruiser and do some major modifications to the scout, there are guys willing to pay a pretty penny for a scout in nice condition. Sense its a 64 i take its a 80/800 with a 152 4 banger with dana 27 axles. Just curious, how much origional equipment is still on it?

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I found it in a ad and when i got there the little old lady pointed me to barn it was under a tarp and had only 23000 miles on it!!

4. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    Thats pretty sweet, so im gonna assume that its in awsome shape inside and out? Got any big plans for it?

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    get rid of em all and get a ford

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N

AAAAAAAAAAAA-men!

7. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    Maybe if its a 3/4 or 1 ton gasser, stay far away from the powerjokes or you'll be walking alot.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    actually, a landcruiser with a small block chevy conversion is a pretty nice ride...the scout doesn't work well with that as it is much heavier.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Back in my muddin' days, I had a CJ with a 304 V8 in it and a 4 spd. tranny. That thing sure was fun. One of my good buddies had a scout and I could hang with him anywhere. married life took care fo that toy, and then I talked her into a boat. woo hoo!

10. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ford....Found on the road dead, All this talk about big v8's Makes me laugh, I have a 22r motor in a 92 Toyota I can go any were in four low and first or second gear, Can beat them yoters with a stick my dads first Toyota is still on the road today.

11. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Keep the scout and ditch the landcruiser as a trail rig? I want some of what you are smoking for sure! lol! Over the years I have had a couple of scouts and a good half dozen FJ40 land cruisers. The early scouts with the 4 bangers were weak on power and notorious for weak diffs, axles and transmissions! The later scouts were basically an international version of a wagoneer, v-8 that ran out of power at about 3000 rpm and okay on the highway but a joke in the woods if the going got tough. The landcruisers were probably overall the toughest vehicles available overall, double boxed frames, heavy but great torque inline six, basically indestructable diffs with axles the size of a dana 60, and transmissions that never gave up the ghost! The only weak spot was possibly the aluminum transfer case but personally I have never seem or heard of one that failed. I agree with the chevy v-8 conversion, 150 lbs lighter than the toy 6 cylinder, gobs more power and usable rpm range and you can buy pistons in the frozen food section at krogers for the small block chevy!
    I have done 5 small block conversions and one chevy big block swap in a fj40! I have used downeys lift kits and done spring over conversions and run up to 40" tires, The FJ40 is probably one of the best 4x4's ever built. I know that body parts from 1963-1979 will interchange with the only difference being in trim and so forth. They still make the Fj40 only it has not been imported into the USA since about 1980. These things are built for remote area use where a parts store is not 5 miles down the road! I wish I still had a couple to be honest!

12. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    keep the yotes,

have had several, got an 85 runner now, that I will keep for ever. you can keep your 6's and 8's, the little 22re does what I ask and has never left me stuck. had a tlc years ago...should have kept it.... just my two cents worth.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll have to stick with my Ford F250 Superduty, for all my 4x4 work. Now If I Had Rocks On My Place, Like in Those Vidios, lol lol then I would have to look for something else. Or some place else, as that ground is not good for anything, except a rock quarry lol,

I like a full size 4x4 pickup, and cuss at the 12mpg my 5.4 gives. Hey it's paid for and it can take a few ton load, as I put air bags on it. The BF Goodrich Mud Terains work well for what I need.

My rearends are whatever Ford put in, pos front and back.

There are a lot of good 4x4s out there. I have had Chevys, Fords and Dodges. Boy the newer ones ride a lot better that some I had years ago.

14. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
  15. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    My dream off road vehicle.

Attached Files:

16. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 78 Bronco. Get it stuck everytime I go out in it and thats why I have it. Strictly a mud truck.