Ultimate Catfishing Equipment List/Describe your "dream setup"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jan 1, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What is your "ULTIMATE EQUIPMENT LIST" what would you love to have but don't or what is your favorite equipment i.e. rods, reels, line, hooks, weights, and all the other goodies? Just curious, maybe we could make the "DEFINITIVE" BOC catfish equipment list for the newbies!

Thanks

TA2D

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I think thats a hard thing to do since there are so many ways of going about trying to catch catfish... i mean drifting, casting, live bait, cut bait... so many options its hard to say that there should be one list... I know i have about 10 different rods strictly devoted to catfishing and many others that serve as multi species... I personally use one of 4 lines for my reels depending on which reel and rod its on... 12,15 and 25lb test Berkley Big Game in clear/smoke and then WWsportsman for my 4# test line... my rods vary from UL to H w/ most being MH and able to cast my baits up to 100+yds... my reels are anywhere from shakespeare alphas to Abu Garcia 6500's...

About the only thing consistant for any hook and line angling for catfishing is that we need a hook and line, size depends on the bait and the fish we expect to catch...

If i were to make a recommendation for someone to start off catfishing though i'd tell them get a medium spinning outfit around 6-6.5 ft w/ a reel capable of holding 10-12 lb test line... Get some egg sinkers (1/2 oz is fine for that rod), swivels (medium sized like a 5 or so should be good), and a pack of 2/0 hooks. get some 10-12 lb line put on it, but don't get the really cheap stuff its to prone to having memory and tangling... then get out there on the water w/ worms, liver and baitfish (what ever lives in the water your fishing) and try casting them each out... you'll catch something, be it channel, blue, flat, bullie, or even an occasional Bass or Striper, you'll get fish...

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    A must have for me is my head lamp. I am so used to it that if I forgot it, I would be very bummed :crying:

4. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Heres what i bring for me for dock or bank fishing.
    rods and reels(3for fishing and 1 for backup)
    2knifes
    Headlamp
    flashlights
    digital camera
    Leatherman
    pliers
    2coolers(one for bait one for food/drink)
    Gloves
    two stringers
    tacklebox with
    *extra line
    *100+assorted hooks
    *swivels
    *lots of sinkers
    *glow sticks
    *floats
    *beads
    Wd40(to spray on bait)
    folding chairs
    cast net
    bucket
    Rubbermaid tub for transporting fish
    2bait airators
    net
    assorted crap that i forgot to list

wow thats alot for two people to carry. Its more than i thought but when you have all packed it doesnt look like as much

5. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    The thing I hate forgetting more than anything is a camera or a set of scales. With neither items at hand, you really don't have much proof as to how big the monster you caught really is.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with you there, I'd be lost w/ out my camera, Why even go w/ out it.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Mellon, if I did not have my camera I would probably not go fishing.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Along with the items already mentioned, the thing I use the most and that I am lost without, is my line clipper! It is kind of like a nail clipper for mono, but has a oversized, rubber thumb pad with a small knife for cutting braid, and also has a small tool for picking birdnest and the edge of the clippers have notches to wrap your line around for breaking off when hung up! The whole thing is only about 2 inches long and I have a lanyard on it that I put around my neck or tie to tackel box or back pack,to make it easy to find!

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    thats a little bit harsh. I just now started to carry a camera w/me and half the time i forget to take pictures so its not all that big a thing for me.

10. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Your posts have really helped me out to. Thanks!

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    my ultimate rig would start off with a cane pole, line, a hook, a gob of worms, the common sense to throw away all the fancy junk, the ambition to use it and a quiet spot to use it! :)
    Oh, don't forget the excitement of catchin the monster that was just fixin to bite!

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    rod, reel, hooks, sinkers, bobbers, bait, and a cooler.

13. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    7'6" H Quantum BigCat, Quantum big iron 420cx, 65lb Power Pro, 4ox egg sinkers, 80lb cajun leaders, 10/0 king khale hooks.

14. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    my dream set up would be, a sea ark bay boat with a 175 merc inboard jet.
    or a pantoon with a enclosed cabin. so I could spend the week end on it.
    just dreaming.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    With all the equipment out their that would not be easy to choose, but I would definately like a pontoon boat or deck boat in the 20 to 25 foot range with atleast a 125 outboard. Not real choosy on the rods and reels but I do like ugly stick rods and will get atleast one or two in the future and a couple of penn baitcaster reels. Line I like to use spiderline 50lb on my cat poles. On the lures fishing poles I use 14 berkley big game on the open face real and 12lb on the baitcaster reel. Truturn and circle hooks is what I use.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    ahh an easy one. I want a cabin with a deck off over a good pond with cats galore in it, little cats, medium cats and bigguns.

17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm glad to hear that alot of people either have or want a nice camera,that sounds like CPR fisherman.I just bought me a new digital camera this past year and I love having it,I've turned around and went back home before to get it. :D As far as equipment I'd love to have a new Triton center console boat,I've got what it takes to fill it up.

18. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    An endless supply of fresh skipjacks, or at least have them bite when I fish for them...

19. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

What ever catches the F'n fish!!! :D

Ray

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well lets see. a 17' boat with cd player berkley quick release pod holders, live wells for bluegills, 5-6 nice abus on some cat rods that match my boat, 40# thrust trolling motor foot controled, shad net, nice dig camera, hook proof landing net, and a depth finder, lead pot and sinker molds. a small boat for bank lines on the creek with a trolling motor.

heck. my dream came true. got all this stuff. lol. actually now i need a 14-16'er for the 5.5 i have for the rock river. ya thats my dream now.