Uglystick Tiger spinning rods- light vs. regular

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by yotetrapper, Mar 2, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Whats the difference? Was looking at them on Bass Pro and dont say what the difference is? The two poles listed for the regular ones are M-Light action and Medium action. The two for the light rods are Med. and Heavy. They are all 7' except the light rod with the medium action which is 6'9". I'm confused.

angela

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Angela the difference is in the lure weight that the rods are designed to throw, check on the rods,the lights are designed to throw smaller weights for the different rods example med rods throw lighter weights than med heavy which is designed for using heavier weights

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Tiger Lite rod is also of lighter construction than the regular Tiger. Its not as heavy, but supposedly just as strong. Usually, to get lighter, they build with more graphite. The regular Tiger is probably the better overall for catfishing. You may also want to look at the Ugly Catfish rods. Those are white rods and the spinning rod comes in an 8 footer. Much less expensive and it would work well for the type of fishing you say you will be doing. The 8 foot rod would help you get your bait out a bit farther when bank fishing.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank yous. That answers all my questions.

Angela

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I thought it answered all my questions but I looked online for an 8' catfish rod but all am finding is 7'. I also seen 1 piece 7' and 2 piece 7'. whats better, one or two piece, and where can ya find an 8' catfish rod?

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I like 1 pieces better. I think they are stronger-but harder to transport. I do have some 2 piece rods and never had any trouble out of them.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Walmarts often carry the Ugly Stick Ugly Catfish spinning rod in 8 ft lengths. Many bigger Wal Marts, or those close to rivers and lakes that attract a lot of fishermen will carry the Tiger rods.

8. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Try http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/ look under products -rods freshwater-ugly stik catfish. The 8' spinning rod is only made in 2 piece. My all time favorite catfish rod is the 8'casting version. I recently ran across a spinning setup on a tiger spinning at wal mart for $20 including the line. I put these in my flatbottom river boat and have not used them. I bought a couple of Brusier spinning rods several years ago for $35 complete I changed the line and have used the heck out of them on up to 7 lb fish and they also work great. The only thing that i have tried and would not do again is I tried a 6.3 to 1 ratio reel. 5.3 to 1 or lower is my preference. Some things are going to be a matter of your preference and the conditions where you fish. Hope this helps!

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the help. Walmart is about the only store I do have here. And its right on the banks of the Mississippi so hopefully will have what I'm looking for. I've decided on the Ugly Stick catfish rod with a Penn Captiva Live Liner.

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    it does depend on what weight you are going to use as for me i use 5oz to 10oz of weigth an a prety good size bait an i use a mh rods an they seem to work good for me

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Angela, you'll be happy with that selection until rod and reel fever hits again. Good luck.

12. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I have both ugly cats 7and a 8 and i think you might like the 8 better for your use also you can find alot of your catfishing needs at catfish connection good luck