uglystick tiger catfish rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by twincatfis, Dec 28, 2009.

1. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    hey boc member i just got a ugly stick tiger rod for xmas and i was thinking about either getting a 6500c3 or one of the green cats for cc just wanted to get a feww thoughts before i buy a reel thanks

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    nothing wrong with the reel. i might second guess the rod if you plan on landing larger fish. prolly good for up to 25 lbs, any more and id be afraid of breaking it. perfect rod for eater catfish. might wanna look for one with a little more back.

3. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    depends on what tiger rod he has , the ones that I have are rated for 20-50lb test and up to either 6 or 8oz lure weight. If that is a rod for eater fish I would like know what you use to fish for big fish.
    I have a few of these rods and have garcia 7000's on two and a penn 209 on the other. With a rod that big you may want to consider a little bit bigger reel. :roll_eyes:

4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You won't go wrong with those choices, its just a matter of what you want. Let us know what you get. There are alot of us that like abu reels. :roll_eyes:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If it's a Tiger Medium Heavy a 6500 series would be a great choice. If it's a Heavy action a 7000 series would be great. Both of those rods have plenty of backbone for LARGE fish and you ain't gonna break it, trust me, LOL!!!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm with post #5...100%.

Ive yet to break my regular ugly cats rods let alone a tiger rod...and the tigers are better ; )

-Jim-

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    the ugly stix tigers are great rods. Anything other then the tiger lite I would go with a 7000c3 reel or any other 7000. I pulled in 20lb flat with a tiger lite with a 6500c3 on it and never felt under gunned, quite sure it could handle something into the 40lb+ class flat. The heavy ones are built for 200lb tuna.:wink:

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you got the White Tiger the 6500 would be perfect. If you have the Orange one in light or medium action still perfect. If you have the Orange one in Medium Heavy or Heavy Action I would upgrade to a 7000 but the 6500 would work fine, I have caught fish up to 50LBs with the 6500 but I just dont like big rods and little reels or little rods and big reels. I like mine matched to eachother but thats just personal preference either way will work. Good luck Bro and tight lines, let us know how you like your set up

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Good advice, I agree with him 100%:006:

10. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i have 2 ugly stick tigers, medium action. both have 6500's on 'em. they are a perfect combo for me. very sensitive tip but strong rod with alot of backbone.

11. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have two medium heavy tigers..one with a 6500 green cat from CC and the other with a 6500 C3. I think its a great set up and I have never had any problems.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Since it,s a MH Tiger,I think a reel in the 7000 range would match up perfect with it.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Skip on this post. I have two of the m/h with 7000 on them. Work great.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 of the med action ugly stick tigers rated for 20-50 lb line. i really like these rods. these are 7' in length, but sure wish they made the same rod up to an 8'er. I love the action of this rod. both of mine are mated with the abu big game 7000 high speed narrow reels. i really like these reels. same physical size as an abu 6500, but has the cranking power of the 7000 and has the power handle featured on the 7000. good luck with your decision!

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dude if they made the Tiger in M/H 8ft I wouldnt need any other rod ever

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Good advice, I agree

17. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    3/4 ton rod and a winch. tidewater reel accually.

18. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    pondwater, i just assumed he was talkin bout the little six foot channel cat rods [we call um] like you see in walmart. hell i could be thinkin of another rod, i didnt realize thay made um bigger than that.

19. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Just thought I would have a bit of fun:0a33:

20. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you dog you. had me second guessin myself. hell i been up since three am. on the water all day, wind burnt, look like i just stepped off mount everest. blistered lips and a red stripe cross my nose and eyes. dog tired and prolly get a ticket for opperating this puter after a few drinks to warm my bones. typin while intoxicated, TWI. whach out now!!!:eek:oooh: