Uglystick bigwater

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ed1, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just got 2 new uglystick mh 7 ft bigwater spinning rods. I put okuma abf 50 reels on them . Cant wait to give them a try.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good luck. Those are supposed to be a good rod.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've two BW casting rods, the 1120 series, 7 ft, same rod, but for casting as opposed to spinning reels. Love 'em. Very stout, but you can still feel the tug from a 5 lb fish. I was turned on to them by a former offshore sport fishing captain/guide.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have 3 bigwater ugly sticks, 2 are 9ft one is 10 ft they are vary good rods

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    good luck hope they work out fine for you keep us posted

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Enjoy and catch many Fish:0a18:

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i wish you the best of luck with your new gear. ill be getting some new stuff pretty soon too - i feel your excitement.

8. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I too recently bought two of the BWB1120 casting rods to match my 230GTO Penn reels. I haven't use it yet but it sure looks and feel like a good rod. Ugly Sticks they are as tough as tanks and with very reasonable price. Enjoy your new gear. Good luck!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You are going to be happy with those sticks. I've two, one has a Penn 209 mounted on it, the other 6500C3. They are tough, but cast well. I'd rate them in the same class as an Ugly Stick Tiger, thought the Tiger is a bit stiffer and will handle heavier weights. That said, its not unusual to load my 1120's with 3 oz lead and a big bluegill head. No problem with that.

10. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    gadzooks,

Thanks for a vote of confidence. I really like how the BWB1120 feels in my hand. It has just enough stiffness, flexibility and the lenght is perfect for my intentions, surf fishing!!!. I practice casting with 4oz weight, man did it go quite a long ways, I have to stop it to prevent it from going over my neighbors backyard. :lol: Yeah I think I'll be very happy with it. Again thanks!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Rick, I bought mine because a friend and fellow cat fisherman I partner with to fish the Brazos about 30 miles Southeast of Waco uses them with his Penn 209's. He's a former sport fishing boat captain, used to take people off shore 30-50 miles to fish for the big ones. The 1120 is the rod he used for kingfish, ling, 'cuda, and other fish up to 100 lbs. Its well constructed, I like the double footed guides, and it casts well. Not bad for under $50.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im jellous those are the ones i want I went to get the 7' mh tiger and came home with the 7' mh BWB1140 because it was the closet thing they had. I get on the shakespeare page and seen that they have a heaver longer version :beauty: . JELLOUS gadzooks, I might be wrong but the rod youre describing is a BWC1120 witch is smaller, 1/2 2oz lure 12-20 line, than the BWB1120 witch is rated at 3-12oz lure weight 40-80 line ramblit and I are talking about.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You are right, I forget sometimes that Shakespeare likes to give different rods in the same general class the same numbers. Its confusing. Anyway, all the Big Water rods are great. Better windings, better guides, and better action than the regular Ugly Sticks.

14. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    kscathunter,

You described the BWB11208 according to its specs. You know exactly what you are talking about! I didn't even know that they have this particular rod until I saw it next to the Tiger rods. I snatched the only two Academy have left. I paired them with PENN 230 GTO. Right now I can't wait to use them.

Good Luck! I'm pretty sure it'll be available the next time you go tackle shopping..