Ugly's: Tiger Vs. Catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by KingCatBrad, Feb 22, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok last year me and some buddies noodled many 70lb and up cats out of some spots on a river and lake but this year I want to go out and catch them on rod and reel. So, I hear a lot of hipe about Ugly's Tiger rod but what about there Catfish rod? Has any one used both of them, to give me an idea of what one handled biger cats easier?

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    For trophies, the catfish has nothing on the tiger. The catfish is a great channel cat rod, but for trying to pull a big one out of a snag, you'll need something with more backbone, like the tiger.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Purchase the Ugly Stick Tiger series in a M/H or H size and you will be happy.:lol:

4. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The tiger is the toughest rod I've ever used

5. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have landed multiple 40lbs+ fish on 7' MH Ugly Stick Catfish Rods (UCCA 110170), granted I wasn't fishing in cover where I had to pull them out before they broke me off. I just bought my first Tiger rod yesterday for my B-Day and have yet to use it. The thing I like about the 7' MH Ugly Stick Rods is that it still makes a 5-15lbs fish fun, I have caught 2-3 lbs channels on my 8' Cabelas King Kat MH rods and didn't even know they were on until we pulled up the lines to move; I thought the tide was bouncing my sinker/bait! I picked out the 7' 2-piece Medium weight Tiger rod instead of the more common MH because of that reason - I don't want to take ALL the fun out of catching the smaller fish which are more common yet I still have the ability to put the big fish in the boat. Another consideration was the stiffness of the rod tip - I use a lot of circle hooks and I was afraid too stiff of a rod wouldn't hook up as well. The attached picture is my buddy Aaron fighting what turned out to be a 46lbs blue on a UCCA 110170. Bottom line is that I highly recommend the 7' MH Ugly Stick Catfish Rods (UCCA 110170) for general purpose fishing.

Attached Files:

6. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok thanx for the info. Now can any one tell me what the diff is between the BWC/AO 2202 7'0" and the BWC 2202 7'0"? I know one has Aluminum Oxide Guides but the other one doesn't have an * by it so does it not have Genuine FujiĀ® Guides? If not then what does it have? Which one would be beter? I mainly use braided line if that helps.

7. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i have 1 tiger with fuji guides and 2 with aluminum ,iprefer the aluminum,especially if you use braid.by the way i also have 2 ugly stik catfish rods and as was said earlier their nice for channels but nothing beats a tiger for big flatheads

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We use the ugly cat exclusively and we river fish for the most part and use them saltwater fishing from the surf.
    I do like the softer tip and to relegate this rod to channel catting is severely cutting it short.
    We've tried to break these rods several times on snags and haven't broken one yet.
    Its not the rod I worry about, it's the reel.

9. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Wonderful advice gentlemen being i was planning on buying an uglu stik catfish rod this weekend. 7 footer m/h for spinning. Already have a 7 ft ugly stik medium spinning, just don't think mit is heavy enough for when I hook into a big flattie.

dru

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have and use both with no complaints. I think the tiger would be the best option for BIG Flatheads! JMO.