ugly tiger rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by snakeman76, Jul 25, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Are the medium action tigers ok to use with circle hooks i am using the gamas 8/0

2. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I use the medium action Tigers with circle hooks all the time. Works great. You should be set. FISH ON! Doug

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i got three, never had trouble.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought 6, 7' tiger lite heavy action. Have any of you used these for flathead and drifting before? Andrew

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    prolly not good for big flats, Flatheadhunter33 has a post somewhere with a pic of one of these rods broke in three places. he consistantly catches nice flatties, but hooked a big daddy that tore his pole up and he lost the fish. as for drifting, i wouldnt know how they perform, i gotta different set up for that.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I remember reading that thread now. That looks like one of them walmart special rods, I have in my shed. Good rods for channels and small blues, but i think i broke mine catching a drum. I just bought the ugly stik tiger heavys so i should be alright. I hope so anyways.

7. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

It does not look like my tiger rod :wink:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does not look like the real tiger rods i just bought either. They are mustard yellow. But i had some kind of cheap tiger made by Shakespeare. Hopefully they work out well for me. Andrew

9. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The rod in that thread is NOT an Ugly Stick Tiger. ALL Tiger rods are a mustard yellow. Ugly stick makes a variety of lighter polls that are white, including the Ugly Cat. The rod in that thread was most likely one of Shakespeares lighter rods.

I have a Tiger Medium. At the advice of my fellow BOC brothers, I chose the Medium instead of the M/H. The Tiger Medium is heavier than traditional mediums, even previous versions of the Ugly Stick. Unless you are fishing SUPER heavy currents, I would go with a Medium. M/H and Heavy Tiger rods are meant for fast current.

The Medium has the backbone to pull in BIG fish, but it has just enough tip action to see picky flatheads moving your bait sideways. The M/H and Heavy will have less tip flex to detect hits. But again it depends on the current where you fish

10. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I read this on the site last year, that was why I got the Medium

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a tiger lite in the heavy action and it works good for me.
    The biggest I've caught on it was 22 lbs. and it still had plenty of backbone left.
    The 7' makes it more suited to a boat rod IMO

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The rod in the picture is a Wal-Mart Shakespeare Tiger in white...Usually comes with a Shakespeare Reel...Not the Ugly Stik Tiger that some of use use...Two different animals here...

Attached Files:

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info Jay. What do you have on it for a reel? I cannot decide what i want to slap on these rods yet.

14. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I am not Jay, but on my two I have ABU 6500C3

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That's what I have 6500 c3..

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I picked up a Tiger in MH today. I went with that action to round out my rods. I just wanted the stiffer tip because I didn't have anything to compair and it was the last one on the shelf. The newer ones were there with the giudes that have inserts but I don't like them. Got this before it was gone and I wished I had.