Ugly Stiks and braid

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Hunt4lyf, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I have a 9' big water Ugly Stik and was curious if the eyes will stand up to using suffix braid or power pro braid on it. Cabelas says they have aluminum oxide eyes and Ugly Stik website makes no mention if it is ok or not to use braid. I just don't want to jack up the eyes. I tried calling the manufacture with no answer and I emailed them 3 times with no reply back. Any help is appreciated. Also this site is AWESOME!!! I've learned a TON of info off here.

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have the Ulgy Stik Tiger rods with the ALuminum oxide eyes, and they have held up so far, of course they havent been used a whole lot:embarassed:, but so far so good. Oh and welcome to the BOC.:big_smile:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    the eyes will stand up to using suffix braid or power pro braid

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I use power Pro braid on my Ugly Sticks and have had no problems, been through a lot of fishing too. Welcome to the BOC!

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They,ll hold up fine,I got some ugly bigwaters that are at least 15 years old,all kinds of braids and no problems whatsoever.Welcome to the BOC Dennis!:0a25:

6. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks for the welcome guys :big_smile: . Thanks for the braid info also, suffix here I come.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Dennis, is that a big channel in your avatar? If so, how big was it? Looks like a big boy. :cool2:

8. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I used the original Fire Line Braid on an Ugly Stik years ago and I never had any sort of issue.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dennis Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Your rods should hold up well with using the braid.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

10. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Yes it is. It was in the low #20's and 32.5" long, pretty good for Colorado. It's my second cat over 30" this year.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i will be getting one, i learned a berkly glowstiks eylets wont hold up on braid for more than a month, i had to sand the groove out, and the ceramic fell out of the lower one but i think some drunk guy steped on it

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Nice channel Dennis!:wink:.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its a dame:wink: nice channel, in the spillway sence not the cuss word lol

14. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks guys! It's my PB so far here in Colorado, I'm still looking for the state record :cool2: One of these trips...

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im getting a 12 foot bigwater, just wonder if a circal hook will work with a rod that heavy, they dont come in medium heavy in twelv footers

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    yes it will Jake, the tip is fast action the rest of the rod has plenty of backbone, like I said before, I have two of them, and you will not be disappointed. Mine are heavy action, and that is the way to go.

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Dennis!!!

18. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    That's great to know KC since that's my next pole I'm getting. Thanks! Also thanks to everybody for the welcome, this site is GREAT!!!

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT