Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

ugly stik

629 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tncatfishing 
#1 ·
have any of u guys ever used those ugly stik big water rods. i was lookin at one that was 8 foot and heavy action and it looked nice. O and is 8 foot and hevy action a good combination

#3 ·
Length depends on where you're fishing from. I boat fish and prefer shorter rods since I don't cast as far and they're easier to handle in the boat. If you're after long casts from the bank, a heavy action will shorten your casts, but a longer rod will help you get distance. I've never used the big water rods, but I have used the regular ugly stiks and I like them for channel cats and I love my ugly stik Tigers (fish in my avatar was on a Tiger m/h) Dunno what you fish for, but if like your user name suggests its channels, I'd go with a lighter action so you can see the bite better when they're being picky. I went through a phase of using pool-cues because I didn't trust the lighter rods to take a big fish, but my Ugly Stik Tiger's have taken a 70, a 45, and few in the 30 range and never had a problem, so I don't have any doubts about their big water rods being up to the task, other than you might consider a lighter rod with more action instead of the heavy. Just my $.02. Good Luck!

Branden

#4 ·
As a matter of fact, my dad bought one that was a cheaper model (not made by ugly stick). It's like a freeken log. They look identical, and i would bet $ the ugly stick is stronger.. Yet by using them you will notice a major difference in sensitivity. Ugly stick wins hands down..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.