Ugly Stik - will this rod handle a ABU 6500 C3 Catfishing Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Terry Day, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I recently purchased an ABU 6500 C3. Been wanting to get it on a rod and start doing some practice casting. My wife, bless her, got tired of me complaining about not having rod enough to handle the reel. So she went to Cabelas and bought me one. The only thing is, she got an Ugly Stik, which is good, but it is a 7' medium light. I don't want to hurt her feelings by letting her know that I took it back - but I wanted a 7' 6" medium heavy. Question is - should I be sneaky and take it back????? I don't think that the medium light will hold up. What do you all think? Thanks in advance to all who respond to this post.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Terry, Take it back, tell her it probably will not be strong enough. Get the med heavy. All of my cat rods are uglies in med heavy.:)

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I would have to agree as med /heavy rods are what I use for bigger cats.

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    OK TOP! That's what I thought! Is 7' 6" about the right length or should I go for 8' (+)?

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Hey TOP, I was down in Arkansas a few weeks back. Drove around Bull Shoals and Norfork. Wife grew up in Harrison. I was looking for a lake to retire on, but don't think that I want a Corp Lake. Any suggestions?

Thanks

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Don't tell her unless she asks. Do swap it out, and if it comes up later let her know that you gave her the wrong specs. the first time. Just make sure that she knows how much you appreciated the thought.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer the 8 footers myself to me its a good all around size,not to big and not to small.The one your wife bought would be fine for eater size channels but id be affraid to hang into a big blue or flathead with it.If you do take it back just make sure you praise your wife for thinking about you and putting forth the effort in trying.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Does your wife fish? Does she know one rod from another? Will she realize that the rod is longer than the one she bought or thicker? If the answers are no, just take it back and trade it in.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    id keep it and get the one you want outta your pocket if it doesnt set you back ! keep the med./lite for smaller cats and bass.
    then she cant get feelings hurt and if she goes with you she can use that one.
    get her a smaller abu like a 4900 or 5000

10. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think i would keep the one my wife bought and go get the one i really wanted if i could afford to . You can never have too many fishing poles .

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Terry, Lake dardnalle is perfect. This lake is not land lock. The river is part of the lake.:)

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks to all who responded,

I feel really stupid! I didn't even think about keeping the medium/light and getting another medium/heavy. Sounds like the best advice to keep her feelings from getting hurt. Cabelas is only about 6 miles away. Today is Saturday so I may just have to go and get one. Thanks again!

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Heck yeah Terry! You might just earn some bragging rights with that light outfit also! It is fun to catch a big fish on smaller gear and as said before, you cant have to many rods!

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I must agree with keeping it and if possible getting more. Some ponds I fish only have the smaller cats, usually 2-5lbs. No use take a 10 guage quail hunting. :crying:

15. Catcatcher26726

Catcatcher26726 New Member

State:
    wv
    I say keep it and keep the little lady happy.

16. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    just explain to her that a 6500c3 HAS to have a 7 ft.medium- heavy ugly stik catfish rod. when she sees that baby on there, shell probably agree!

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree the 7' catfish ugly stick is perfect for the 6500c3 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: