Ugly Stik Tiger

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fisherman94580, Feb 11, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you think a 7 foot ugly stik tiger is to short to be fishing in a river from bank? Because I really want a tiger but can only find them up to 7 foot.

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends on how fast the current is really. Otherwise I dont see much of a problem with it. They are extremely good rods so just try to find out if they might work for you

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    it should be fine, just take into consideration if you want to cast far a long 10'-12' will go alot farther than a 7'. but ive used 5'6'' heavy action rods for close up to the bank. its just a personal preferance thing to be honest. i use 10' rods and spinning reels and a few friends and family members said that wont cut it if im after big fish but ill be proving them wronge come spring:lol:

4. fisherman94580

State:
    Kentucky
    How far you think a 7 footer can cast?

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    got my first tiger on sat. took it out to day for the first time seems to cast fine to me on a boat but it all depends on your weight an bait on how far you can throw it

6. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey brother, that rod will do just find yuor casting depends on your wieght and on what lb line you use if you use 50lb test with between 2-4 oz weight you might get 80 - 90 feet give or take a few. atleast thats what i get out of my 7' rod with a open face reel

7. fisherman94580

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll be using 30 pound test with 4 or 5 oz on.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Alot of it will depend on what reel. Another thing that will affect it alot is the action of the rod. How much 'snap' it has at the end of the cast will make a big different. I can cast a medium to medium heavy rod alot farther than a heavy rod. Tigers are a real nice rod.

9. fisherman94580

State:
    Kentucky
  10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A 7 foot rod aint to short for shore fishing, I use a 7 foot rod and I love my.

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I've used a 7' boat rod with 6 oz. and 8 oz. weights and a bait caster, and I've found the casting distance for that setup to be a touch longer than a 6.6' spinning setup with 0.5 oz. weight.

As a side note, the Tiger is a fairly common rental rod among the salt water charters I've been on; the ones used there should be able to handle a 30# fish.

-- Rich

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think it be a ok i fish the river from the bank and i have 7'ers that i use. if theirs a brush pile i want to cast to i can if thier is one thats too far away its tooo far away. the further you fish from the bank the more line you have in the water witch means more surface aera for the water to push your bait on down stream.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a tiger myself and i'm primarily a bank fisherman. You wont have any problems with distance. I think alot of people fish too far out from the bank anyways.

I do wish they would make them a foot longer though, would make line handling easier when using a float.

14. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    From what I have seen...

Why is it that when we bank fish, we want to chunk our bait out 100's of feet from shore, and when fishing from a boat cast it a few feet from the banks?

Casting distances and rod lengths are terms that "just" sell a lot of rods to many of us. Before you disagree with me... hear me out.

Unless you have a very specific need to cast a certain distance then it really dosen't matter all that much.

I think it is smarter to buy a rod that is matched to the size of fish that you will be targeting... not on how far it will cast.

The Ugly Stik Tiger is an awesome rod and considered a real Catfish rod by many here.

_

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Advice Tony!! Coulden't have said it better Myself.
    J.D.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    all right ill dissagree with you on the length part. the lenght will have alot to do with the character of the rod not only how it casts but how it fights, how well it can reach you around stuff to get your line back in, how easy it is to steer the fish...... or perhaps someones short and needs a rod that isnt 16' their is a lot of reasons for a rod of a different length shure 1 rod may get the job done but another one may do it better.

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Tony I have wondered About that to well said

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I AGREE WITH TONY, AND THE UGLY TIGER IS A GREAT ROD BUT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING LONGER CHECK OUT A JIM MOYER OR A SURGE ROD, I THINK THE SURGE RODS ARE AROUND 8" AND FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD ARE EXCELLENT RODS, BUT DON'T GET SOMETHING TO LONG BECAUSE DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE AREA YOU'RE FISHING, ARE THEIR TREES TO GET GET HUNG IN WITH SUCH ALONG ROD ? THE UGLY TIGER IS A GREAT ROD AND PLENTY LONG ENOUGH FOR ME AND I'M ALSO A BANK FISHERMAN.

19. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    what I did was buy a 12 ft rod heavy duty for big cat fishing from the bank but now that I mainly boat fish I never use it and if I did decide to bank fish I'd probley go with my tigers anyway
    so if you think that you may get a boat in the future the ugly stick tiger is a great rod that could last you a lifetime

20. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Check out BWB1120 8' it's a one piece rod rated for 40-80lb line, heavy action rod. I have two that I have matched with PENN 330GTI. I haven't yet gotten it wet. I bought the last two that Academy in my local area have in stock . But BPS carry it also. I'm telling you just by the looks of the rod, this can handle anything out of the fresh water but so is the Tiger rods.:smile2: Good luck!