Ugly Stik Tiger vs. Ugly Stik Bigwater

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by JPritch, Dec 25, 2006.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have been looking around town for the 7ft MH Ugly Stik Tigers and nobody seems to carry them, and I would prefer not to order a one piece rod due to the shipping costs.

I was able to find some Ugly Stik Bigwaters (black). What are your thoughts on this rod. Is it better/worse than the Tigers?

My second question is that they carry the 7ft Bigwater and some 6'6 Bigwaters. To me the 6'6 poles seem stouter, but notice most catfisherman have 7ft poles. Can somebody fill me in on this.

Thanks for the help!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Both are good rods IMO. While the Tiger may have a higher line and lure weight rating. It is also stiffer IMO. I like the longer rod in order to "work" the fish a little better and still have the sensitivity in the tip to see the light bites. Most stores that carry Shakespeare have the ability to order you what you need. And that won't cost you any shipping. I am sure others will have more info to add.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive had good luck with the 6'6" Shakespeare Sturdy Stick M/H action rods from Wal-Mart. They are tough as nails, but just dont have the higher quality guides as the Tigers. Ive caught many cats in the 50 lb range with these rods and have never had one break. These are one piece rods (white with blue wrap) and come in various lengths. I do own several Tigers and love these rods and plan to replace the sturdy sticks as they wear out but at the rate these Sturdy Sticks are holding out, that may be sometime before they are all replaced...... also the price of the Sturdy Sticks are about 22 bucks.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I have two Big Water 1120 7 ft rods. They're tuff rods and will handle most anything you'll catch in freshwater. Lots of backbone. While rated to cast up to 20oz, I've loaded them with 3 oz weights and at least that much in bait and had no problems. A friend recommended them. He used them as an off shore captain for king and other fish. Now, he's land bound and uses them to for alligator gar and flatheads.

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    if ya want a tiger go to wall mart around here every wall mart has them, ya should be able to get one from them by ordering in the store or o line delv. to the store

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the info guys!

lol...I really didn't want to hear this as I avoid WalMart like the plague. Looks like I'll have to suck it up if I want a Tiger.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think he is reffering to the Good uglystick Tigers(yellow) not the white ones. Those white ones are not near the rod that the yellow ones are!!!

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Academy carries the Tigers Thats were I got mine:0a18:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most WALMARTS carry the shakespere tiger rods..Which are totaly different than the shakespere ugly stik tiger rod..The shakespere ugly stik tiger is a much better rod, and cost between 55-60 bucks just for the rod.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I was thinking the same, the ones at Wal Mart are white and called Shakespeare Tiger Combo and comes with a spinning reel or soincast reel.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Another thing I want to point out is the guides on the ugly stik tigers..They are stainless steel, which is not a problem untill you come to the tip guide..I put groves in the tip guides on one fishing trip, so I will have all the tip guides on my ugly stik tigers replaced with tips with a insert.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    ONE fishing trip.......mono or Braid Jack?

I would think that shakespeare would put on a better tip that wouldn't groove after just one trip.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brad I was using mono big game 20-lb, and they actually groved after catching just a few small chanel cats..But other than that they are the best rods I have used.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Never the less, the BW Ugly Sticks are damn fine rods. Less money too.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I thought you were a mono guy.....Hmmmmmm

Have you ever dropped an e-mail to shakespeasre 'bout this?

Was it just one rod or is this a bigger prob?

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    geez, I have 10 tiger rods for about 4 years now and have had none of them get grooves in them. Must have been a fluke. Probaly the best catfish rod you could get without going custom.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got both Ugly Stik Tigers and the Bigwater's. I think its basically the same blank in both. The Tigers have 2-3 more guides. The Big Waters do have inserts in the guides. Other than those two items, I don't see too much difference between them. I like the black color of the BigWater rods a little better.

For what it's worth, the tip of my oldest Tiger rod is starting to grove, after several years of using braid. I plan to replace the tip before I use it again, but that is no big deal.

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

I just placed an order for 5 of the Ugly Stik Tiger Casting Rods - MH 7' (BWC2202). I found mentions of Catfish Connection on here and checked them out and the rods are on sale for $50, so I saved about $10 per rod compared to other stores/sites, and then shipping only came to $12 for all 5 rods. Can't beat that! Plus, I didn't pay any tax, so I think I came out pretty good.

Can't wait to give 'em a battle test!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Great choice Brother, they will serve you well!!! You also get great service from the folks at CC.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The only thing I don't like about the Tigers is they won't fit in my kayak's rod holders, the butt is too big. I've found the Big Waters to be a fine all around rod and equal to the Tiger n most respects.