Ugly stik tiger the ultimate big cat rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by flathunter, Jun 25, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a rod and reel for anyone who wants to haul big fish from any kind of water.
    tiger

The legend of Ugly Stik goes beyond the name Shakespeare. It's been a favorite of fisherman the nation over. Its followers are dedicated to the rod's unbelievable strength and sheer fish-hauling power. But the Ugly Stik's reputation is about to get another serious boost. The Ugly Stik Tiger is a rod of unbelievable toughness.

I got a personal demonstration of the rod's power by Shakespeare's own public relation's man, Mark Davis.

While fishing for giant catfish on the Missouri River, one of the rods snagged into the bottom of the muddy river. Instead of just clipping the line, Davis took the opportunity to show just how tough the rod really is.

He took the Tiger and put it over his shoulder and started walking. Soon the rod was doubled over and even sooner people were starting to duck in fear the rod would explode. But it didn't, and Davis pushed harder and the rod continued to take abuse that would've broken a 2x4.

It didn't take anything else to make me a believer. The Tiger series of Ugly Stiks has to be one of the most impressive rods I've ever seen. If you plan on pulling in some big fish in your future, this is the rod for you.

7000c3

The 7000C-3 features a rugged frame of chromium-plated brass.
    It has more than just strength to make it a winner as well. It's offered with Perfection stainless steel reinforced ring guides and Fuji aluminum oxide tips. These rods are custom-designed for live-bait type actions with fast taper blanks and reinforced fighting butts.

Choosing a reel to go with such a fine rod isn't a hard task. There are some that would do the trick, but why not go with one of the best -- an Ambassaduer 7000C-3. That name has been in fishing for a long time and for good reasons. The Ambassaduer reels that my dad and granddad used are just as great as the ones you can buy today.

These workhorse reels feature rugged frames of chromium-plated brass, centrifugal brakes with 4 interchangeable weights to cope with heavy lures, and on/off click alarms. The 7000 has bronze bushings and side plates of anodized aluminum. The 7000C-3 features 3 stainless steel ball bearings to keep it smooth and take on monsters of the deep.

The specs on the reel are quite impressive. It boasts 4.1:1 gear ratio and 26 inches of line recovery per handle turn. It weighs a beefy 17.8 ounces and holds 200 yards of 30-pound line.

When you've got your mind set on big fish, this is definitely the big tackle you need. The Tiger's strength and the 7000's brute power combine to give you the ultimate in heavy-duty angling.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These rods are awsome. I have two 7000c3's and love them.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have yet to get one, but I really like Jacks, so I am sure this winter I will have one, or two, or three, maybe a half dozen. Who Knows! :big_smile: :lol:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it sounds like I might have to try one of these out soon.

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    After seeing STUMPKNOCKERs Avatar I decided I am just gonna bypass all that and get what he has his Flat cat hanging on to use in the future.:wink: The casting might be a problem but the haulin in and liftin should be a piece of cake!!!...LMAO:tounge_out:

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have two Tiger rods with 309M Penn reels and love'em. I pulled a little over half of a crosstie that I snagged up on off the bottom of the Ohio river with one of them strung with 50lb Power-pro, they are tough.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i agree 100% im an ugly stik fan and just wouldnt have anything else. also an abu fan too but i use 6000c,s cause all im after is channels, but ya i should have a tiger and 7000c3 sittin hhere in case id ever get down to where th big ones are lol:lol: :big_smile:

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Have One Ugly Stik Tiger & I Really Like It. I Used To Be A Big Fan Of The Quantum Big Cat Rods But Not Since I Got My Ugly Tiger.

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Anyone ever own one of these and a surge rod? IF so, how's the comparison?

Thanks!

Eric

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have four 7' one-piece Tiger rods and wouldn't take anything for them.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have two MH 7' Ugly Stik Tigers and they're my favorites. I might have passed up a good deal yesterday at the flea market. I found a stand that had several of these rods that were used, in 7' and 6' lengths for $15 each or two for $25. I didnt know that they came in the 6' length. The 7' rods are $59 new at Cabelas. I regret not buying at least 2 of them now that I think about it.

12. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with david. I own 4 7' M action Tigers, got them paired with 7000 ambassadeurs, and as far as big blues and flatheads go, i wouldn't trade them for any other rod and reel combo out there. Good thing about the Tiger is its versatility. I use them for catfishing most of the time, but put a different reel on them, like a penn 114, and they also go with me to the beach for kings, sharks, cobia, and pretty much whatever i want to catch on it. I honestly and seriously think that rod can catch anything!

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got a new m/h tiger last week, and two new medium action tigers today...I think I have enough rods for awhile!

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got 5 7' Tigers... 1 medium heavy, 2 medium (so far the same as flathunter) and 2 of the 2 piece mediums as "car trunk" rods. The 1 piece rods are my workhorses, and have landed a lot of fish. I've yet to decide which I like better, the M or MH, I think each one fills a niche. I guess I prefer the MH for heavy current because it doesn't bob around, and the M for lighter current or lakes.

15. cab9379

cab9379 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Were can you get the tiger rods and do they make them in heavy action.

16. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thanx for the testimony. i dream of the day when i get some extra cash...:roll_eyes:

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They don't make a Heavy, but the MH is a heavier action than a lot of H action rods on the market. You can get them at Catfish Connection, Basspro, Cabelas, and probably a lot of other places.