Ugly Stik Tiger rods @ Bass Pro?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Big Dav, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I drove down to the Sevierville Bass Pro today to pick up a bunch of small items to finish my live well and bait well. I figured while I was there I would pick up a couple of new Ugly Stik Tiger rods. To my surprise they did not have one in the store and said they have never stocked them. I know the Bass Pro in Charlotte stocked them at one time. I would order them but I hate to pay shipping on one piece 7 ft rods. Does anyone in the Charlotte area know it that store still stocks the Tiger rods? I would call but I never have good luck getting anyone on the phone that is willing to help.:roll_eyes:
    The wife was all set to buy me an early Christmas present.:sad2: I think I could have even talked her into a couple of new reels. :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

I am looking for either the regular tiger in a med - heavy weight 7ft one piece or the new tiger lite in a heavy 7 ft one piece.
    Also how would you guys compare these rods to the Ugly Stick Catfish rods (I have 6 of them) and the Ugly Stick lite CA-1170 Med-Hvy inshore rods? I have four of them with Garcia 6501 (two C3's and two C4's) series reels on them and love them. Just haven't had anything very big on the lite's yet.

Thanks once again,
    David

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have the ugly stik tigers as well as the ugly stik catfish rods, and the ugly stik custom..They are all great rods, the ugly stik catfish rods will handle quite a fish but are not as stout as the other two...I would rate the ugly stik custom as the best rod of the three.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hey why dont you have a look at one of our sponsers on the board
    black an blue tackel custem rods you can buy one of his rod for just a little more the the tiger rod an have a custum rod iv fished beside these rod an they are very nice rods an are built to last

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies.
    Flathunter,
    That is good to know about the differences in the three ugly stik's. What size and action are you using in the Ugly Stick custom?

Billcatfish,
    I had PM'ed Black and Blue. He replied and told me to call him. I was on line when he PM'ed me back and I tried to call him right then but got no answer. I have not tried to call him back since. I like to buy rods in pairs or four at a time. When buying one rod it is not a big difference to go with a custom rod but when you are talking two or even four rods it adds up quickly. Shipping has usually been about the same on two rods as it is for one 7 ft rod. A little more for four rods but not as much as it would be ordering them one at a time. I may just break my routine and order one of the Black and Blues to give it a try.:big_smile:

Buying a Black and Blue rod or supporting a site sponsor was not my reason for this post. I was wondering about the Ugly Stik tiger and if anyone in the Charlotte NC area knew it the Concord Mills Bass Pro still stocked the Tiger rods. I guess I am just going to have to call the and hope I get someone that will check for me and not just say yes or no without knowing. I have called in the past and drove down to find they did not stock an item I was told on the phone that they did stock and also had just the opposite happen. Kinda sucks to have that happen when they are over three hours away.:angry:

Thanks again,
    David

5. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    I was down there over the summer and they had them in stock,but that was back in August sometime. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you could try email :wink: ask who ever does email for them if they have items in stock at your store or if you can be able to buy on line and pick up in store. its too bad that a bad employee can ruin a whole experience. i was at ______ one day and wanted to purchase a reel that the computer said they had in stock but no one could find. i had to ask three or four employees before i got one to look in the back for me and guess what he came back with my reel:embarassed:

7. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    The BASS PRO SHOP website doesn't have them. I got mine on the CABELAS website.
    They cost $57.99 for a
    1 Piece
    7' Medium/Heavy Action
    30-60lb Test Line
    3/4-8oz Lure Weight
    With Aluminum Oxzide Guides

With just the rod shipping is:
    Standard Express: 3-6 Business Day Delivery
    $8.95
    plus $6.00 For Length
    For A Total Of
    $72.94

Guaranteed Express: 2-3 Business Day Guaranteed Delivery if ordered before 9:00PM Central Time will ship out the next day
    $18.90
    plus $6.00 For Length
    But For Some Reason It Knocks The Extra Cost Off And Gives You A Shipping Total Of $20.08
    For A Total Of
    $78.07

Overnight Air Express: Next Business Day Delivery if ordered before 11:30 AM Central Time
    $31.90
    plus $6.00 For Length
    But For Some Reason It Knocks The Extra Cost Off And Gives You A Shipping Total Of $29.16
    For A Total Of
    $87.15

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the help and replies. My wife is wanting to go Christmas shopping and if the Charlotte store had them that would help in deciding to make a trip to Charlotte.:big_smile: At least for me.:smile2: I may give the in store pick up a shot if they will do that. I had not ever thought about that as being an option, Thanks.
    David

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    BigDav

Yes, they have them in Concord Mills BPS. I prefer the 7ft one piece med light. It is a great rod. This rod has a limber tip section but don't be fooled cause it has a lot of backbone. I have 6 of them matched with 7000c3's. My big fish rigs!!

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina

mudkip is right on this. i have 7 of them myself with 7000c3 reels. greta outfits! you can have your bass pro shops to turbo order them from another store and that will save you the shipping cost also. might take a few days to get them but that would be better than driving all the way down here to get them and they be sold out for some reason. cost is around 55 bucks in charlotte. i live 20 minutes awya and im in there every week seems like. all of mine are medium actions except one which is a medium lite and i have landed flatheads up to 50 lbs on both. for anchor fishing i wouldnt use the medium lite so much but it works great for drift fishing. real lite tip but still good backbone.

11. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I work about 2 miles from that store and looked at them on the shelf just yesterday at lunch,they had both rods.

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The BPS in Sevierville is sorry when it comes to catfish equipment. It is more of a tourist trap with clothing and gifts than it is a real sportsman's store. I have 3 Tiger rods and many others. The Tigers are by far my favorite. I like the 7 foot medium action the best. I have one with a 7000 iC3 and one with a 600 Shimano Tekota. No rod in their price range even comes close to the quality and durability and very few that are much more expensive do either.

13. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    John, I have two of the 600 on the tigers. Hard to beat without buying a custom rod. The 600 IMO can't be touched for under 200.00.

14. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Go to a cabela's...they have many in stock. Ten percent off purchase if you open a cabela's visa card, I just bought 2 mh tigers with aluminum oxide guides for $50 a peice.

15. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Hey Dav
    I dont know if yall have Acedemy sports and outdoors stores in your part of the world but if so they stock them here for the same price as Bass Pro.

16. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I wish I had and Academy in our area. I have to drive 2- 2&1/2 hours just to get to a Bass Pro and still don't have much to choose from. We don't have any mom and pop stores that offer any thing other than bass tackle.:sad2:
    I haven't bought any new rods yet, waiting to Christmas is over and see what Santa brings.:smile2:
    Seriously, I won't be buying any rods until after the first of the year. We did not go the Charlotte to Christmas shop so I ended up not buying any more rods for now. I am strongly leaning toward trying some custom rods for the first time.

Thanks
    David

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shoot I wish I had seen your post a couple days ago. I got an email from Cabelas that said they were offering free shipping on orders over $100. That would have been a good time to jump on a couple of them.

18. memphisbobby

memphisbobby New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Really like my tiger rod
    Fish the Mississippi River and it has performed great