Ugly Stik Tiger Lite rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by river_rat_42, May 13, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have seen a few post where people are asking questions about these rods, including one of mine, but noone is anwsering anything. Is it because noone uses these models?:confused2: I know that the original Ugly Stik Tiger rods are a big favorite, but I like how the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite rods look:big_smile: and I was wondering if they were good, strong, well built rods for catfishing the rivers. Yet, I am hoping that they are not as bulky as the original Tiger rods. Because my avg. catch size is like 8-10 lb's. and the original Tigers are to stiff for having fun with 8-10 lbers. So, does anyone use these Tiger Lite models and what do you think about them?, Thanks.

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey rat ill answer this as best i can , i tried this once on another thread . Now as you know the regular tiger rods have foam handles thats for a reason , thats to cushion your hands against large fish for prolonged fights its not built for sensitivity but is still sensitive because of the howald process that shakespeare has made so famous , the longer fore grip is there for leverage when muscleing those large fish for which it is was intended . Now lets look at the lite this rod like all of the other lite ugly sticks in the lite line up are simply built with more graphite than the originals more graphite = less weight , but still true to the ugly stick tuffness , cork handles would be a preference of the indivisual in my opinion , not one i personally would favor for large fish in extended fights , but if you are targeting smaller fish and do not mind the smaller grips you should be fine ( i have large hands foam is more comfortable ) another thing the heavy lite model has the same weight rating as the MH original and just my opinion the med original has a very nice tip for detecting smaller fish and back bone to spare , the biggest problem i have heard with the med power rods is when river fishing the softer tip on the medium bounces around more than the MH . But for smaller cats you could also go with the ugly stick catfish series or one of many composite rods available .

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    rat,

Most people are probably "scared" of the word "lite" when it comes to catfishing on the river....But cathouse is right..It's just a matter of shakespeare useing more graphite to make the rods "lighter"....Of course, the foam handles on the regular rods are eaiser to clean with soap and water, but they are the same rods, just lighter....Dwight

4. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    I just started using the berkley glow stick and so far it has worked good for me!

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    nkc,

I've wondered how those rods would work....Dwight

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    In my opinion the ugly lite would work well for the fish you're targeting.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    unless you want a cork handel the 7' ugly stik catfish might be a better rod choice. its white light and about half the price. id bet the tiger lite is a little tougher but i dont have one so i couldnt tell you how they fight but the ugly cat sounds like what youre looking for.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the Ugly Stick Lite would work well for what u is targeting. I will be getting me a couple Ugly Stick Catfish Rods for myself.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I've got an 8' Ugly Stik Lite Spinning reel.....I love it....Dwight

10. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have an US Tiger Light and put a Aub 6500 black cat special on it. Caught my first Cat to day on it ( 8 Lbs) Rod did its job.
    Have a great and safe day.
    Walt

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    The only problem I see is that they don't offer a rod over 7'0"'s....But I'm thinking of geting one for my Pflueger Trion 66....I'm using the reel at the moment on a 11' cabela's predator rod......Dwight

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was initially a proponent of the $30 Ugly Cat over the $60 Tiger Lite's. There is some basis for that, both are good rods, both have a good "medium range" backbone. The Tiger Lite's are a bit stiffer in the tip section, which could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on circumstances. Both rods use aluminum oxide guides with inserts and 3 supporting "feet". Neither rod is as sturdy and strong as the regular Ugly Stik Tiger rods, but both would be adequate for most fish in most situations.

I had the opportunity to pick up a Tiger Lite Casting 6'6" rod at a good price, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the workmanship, the sensitivity, and the handle design. I really like the cork grip, as well as the foam bulb just below the reel that improves grip.

Bottom line is I like the Tiger Lites. I wouldn't throw out an Ugly Cat to get one, and it won't replace a regular Ugly Stik Tiger for big river fishing, but it's a really nice rod, suitable for most catfishing situations. I'm in the market for a 2nd one.

13. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have a light fishing stick i like it but the one i used to have broke on me during a catfish battle i was devestated because the line was rubbing next pole were it broke and it snapped the line

14. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Given the actions are about the same does anybody know how much lighter the Tiger Lites are than the regular tigers. I have 2 Ugly Stik Tiger rods and they are heavy if you hold them for long.

Cheez

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree that the actions are similar - this in terms of tip stiffness. The regular Ugly Stik Tigers have a much beefier and I believe a stronger backbone.

To answer your question on weights:
    Wt/
    Oz---Rod (Casting Rods)
    16.0-Ugly Stik Tiger 7' MH
    15.3-Ugly Stik Tiger 7' M
    15.0-Ugly Stik Tiger 7' M 2 Piece
    14.7-Ugly Stik Tiger 6' 6" M
    9.0--Ugly Stik Catfish 7' MH
    8.6--Ugly Stik Tiger Lite 6' 6" MH

These are all my measured weights. I don't have a 7' Tiger Lite to weigh. Comparing them in Cabelas, the 7' is thicker in the base as well as being longer, and probably (a guess) weighs at least a couple of ounces more than the 6'6" model.

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    From what I see here the 7' Tiger Lite is a little over half the weight of the regular Tiger. To me that is a lot.
    Thanks,
    Cheez

17. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the information, I might have to pick up one of these new Ugly Stik Tiger Lite rods from these threads. I loved my old Tiger but it might be time for something new.